Interstellar - meh..

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Mr God, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Mr God

Mr God Member

So everyone was raving about this movie, Interstellar, when it was released and I just saw it and I thought it was 'OK'.

I thought the plot twist was inevitable and obvious from about 10 minutes in. I liked some ideas and parts but I felt that it was largely a forgettable film. :anon

I also saw Taken 3.. man, not a good day for movies it seems. Worst POS I've ever seen and I'm surprised Liam Neeson wanted to be in this movie. I've seen Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal movies with far better acting. No kidding. :horse

Anyone got any good movie recommendations?

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I watched John LeCarre's "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" with Gary Oldham yesterday.

Superb British spy yarn.....very well done.

And it was just added on Netflix.

3. cottonmike

cottonmike Member

Just saw "Boyhood", and thought it was very good.

A nice change of pace from the standard Hollywood fare.

4. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

"It came out months ago"

"But I wanna complain about it NOW!" ;)

I loved the look and vibe and wish that it had been stronger throughout. Definitely not meh to me.

Why anyone would watch TAKEN 3 after what they did with TAKEN 2, I think that's on them.....:D

Watching "Patton" with George C. Scott right now.....it's not too bad.

5. Mr God

Mr God Member

Well I just saw it now and I'm mainly surprised about Interstellar as it didn't match the expectation after all the hype

But Taken 3 I am definitely complaining about, it deserves complaints. I never saw Taken 2 so well, there's that ;) I thought Taken 1 was decent.

Luc Besson has a tendency to milk out any successful movie to death unfortunately.

6. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

I literally just finished watching it (Interstellar). Wasn't privy to any hype - as such I thought it was absolutely killer. Stellar, even. But I am an uber sci-fi geek so it was always guaranteed to tick a few boxes. Each to their own I guess.

So what sorta flicks you like Mr God? I must have watched at least 100 movies over the last couple of months waiting for my next project to kick off... but hard to recommend anything without any clues to what you typically like. Action, drama, thriller, crime, comedy, sci-fi, rom-com, art-house, psychological, foreign?

7. SGNick

SGNick Member

Interstellar to me will always be the movie that could've attempted an amazing scifi answer to what the singularity of a black hole is, but instead turned it into "It was love all along".

Rather disappointing. Some great acting though, and the visuals were incredible.

8. Zero

Zero Member

I felt the same way about "Gravity". So much hype. Then I finally saw it and I thought it was pretty bad.

9. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

"I can tell you I don't have money but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that will be the end of it......unless the same thing happens two more times"

10. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

To each his own with movies. Boyhood = Borehood, and Tinker Tailor... was almost unwatchable IMHO.
    If you can get past the ridiculous train premise , try SnowPiercer, and for 2/3rd of a good movie, watch Lucy. The ending was epic in its weakness though.

11. sweiss

sweiss Member

I'll go you one better and call it awful.

I can only swallow disbelief so many times before I can't take it anymore. Between blithely jumping from one space station to next as though they were a block apart....and zipping around in space with the aid of a fire extinguisher....it was just too much.

The whole film was just one ridiculous situation after another.

12. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

The best thing about that movie was the butt shots. :D

13. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

Clooney fan are you?

14. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

I was thinking of Bullock, I don't recall any Clooney butt shots. :D

15. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I'm looking forward to Interstellar because I love scifi.
    I recommend The Iceman, the lead is played by Michael Shannon. He plays Richard Kuklinski, a hit man for the mob. He's a machine.

16. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

very MUCH agree. Great movie. A real trip to see everyone grow over a 12 year span. Don't think That's ever been done in a movie before.

17. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Interstellar ? I really liked it. Course, I love sci-fi, fantasy etc.
    Taken 3 ? Love Liam, I think he's a good actor but won't go near this one.
    Gravity , Liked it, but the stand out was the space shots.

Just saw " The Imitation Game" last night with Mrs. G. We both really liked it. Well done.

Yeah not sure what you're into movie wise. For something different and eye opening, check out McConkey on Netflix.

Good Luck !

18. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

Check out "The Best Offer".

19. Mr God

Mr God Member

but was it inter stellar?! :eeks

My favourite genre is actually Sci-Fi, I really like hard sci-fi, dystopian stuff with as little of the drively interpersonal drama as possible. I really don't like that most sci-fi movies (like the new star trek movies) are just generic action movies with a sci-fi theme.

My favourite sci-fi movies are 2001, Alien 1/2, Equilibrium, Pandorum (any sci-fi fan should see this, am-az-ing) same goes for Snowpiercer

I like loads of stuff from independent and deep to shallow and stupid but what I really dislike is generic and mediocre and Interstellar, while not really bad, went more in the direction of mediocrity than serendipity

20. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

See, and I heard that "Snowpiercer" was epic and I was quite disappointed by the experience. Much more so than by "Interstellar."

I'd rather rewatch "Blade Runner" than most of this stuff anyway...:D