Interview with Michael Swart

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SRQGuitar, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Redrum

Redrum Member

I bet that sounds fantastic.

2. aussie_gear_maestro

aussie_gear_maestro Member

3. aussie_gear_maestro

I've heard a lot of reverbs in my life , not a lot of good ones! I have faith it Swarts infact they been on the top of my list to buy....until I played through the Maz 18jr and couldnt resist.

4. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Gold Supporting Member

I own several Swarts and have played most of them. The ST-45 is his finest amp, hands down. It’s kind of like low powered tweed twin with a master volume. Breakup is very similar to the AST but obviously louder.

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Nice article.

I've owned the STR tweed a few times and the trem version once. Currently have a Atomic Jr. as my only amp. It's a keeper. Might try the trem again too.

6. aussie_gear_maestro

Can anyone give me a run down on what the reverb clean tone and break up is like in general ast's str's.

Do any Swarts offer a footswitchable boost (I don't get along with o.d pedals.)
    I was definitely interested until I heard tweed twin, really don't like the sound of them.

7. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the article OP! The SST-30 has been my main amp for almost 13 years now. Sounds great with all types of pickups, clean and dirty. Pretty much ended my amp GAS.

I love playing clean through the SST with single coils, especially my Strat. @saltydogg's assessment of the reverb is pretty much on the money. I'm not good at descriptors, but the clean tone is not scooped so much like a blackface Fender; more middy and tweedish (duh!). It is absolutely beautiful however. I confess to using a touch of delay more than the reverb with said cleans.

The break up/OD/ fuzz is awesome. Here I prefer the humbucker Les Paul, though singles sound nice too. With the SST (PPIMV) the Volume knob ratchets up the degree of OD/distortion/fuzz. Can get many great rock tones here, all smooth and creamy.

To your last question, no, no footswitchable boost. Swarts have hi-lo inputs and a hi-lo switch to match the pickups you're using and the output you want, though I often use any and all options. Would be nice to control the hi-lo switch with a footswitch but alas it doesn't exist. It is fairly easy to control gain with your guitar's volume though that is not always ideal.

saltydogg likes this.
  8. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

The AST and STR are different animals with the STR versions a bit more dirty and gritty. In some ways the tone is tweed style, but they don’t sound exactly like any Fender as the Swarts don’t fart out and the volume increases all the way to 11.

The reverb is not springy like a Fender, but much more ambient. The tube tremolo is just the finest bias wiggle I’ve heard.

Swarts design philosophy is to keep the circuits as simple as possible for harmonically rich tone. What Swart offers is the Atomic Boost which is a mid/full germanium booster that sounds perfect with almost any amp. (I run the Atomic boost into a Vibe pedal and that’s it). Unlike OD pedals the Atomic Boost is fat full up, but cleans up when you turn down for articulate rhythm tones. They also make a great fuzz.

9. aussie_gear_maestro

I really love gear page, users do a great job at giving well informed information on guitars/amps.
    Thanks guys - this is why I do solid reviews...a bit of give and a bit of take .

10. aussie_gear_maestro

How do I do multi quotes on here , sorry I'm a bit old school.

11. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Click on the quote link on each post you want to quote, then select insert quote when you go to reply.