Intonation: anyone else havinig trouble with Strobo

dankayaker

Picked up a Strobo 2 a few weeks back and have been in a state of constant frustration trying to intonate my guitars. I've intonated with other tuners for years with a fair measure of success, but I'm ready to get the shotgun out on this one. I'm starting to think my hearing is going on me because I'll get it set, check the guitar playing octaves and 5ths and is sounds good, get in a band situation and yuck.

Just venting . . . I know all the tricks they suggest but have to wonder how I can get such incredibly varying results.

I'm gonna use the strobo for target practice this weekend.

TopBooster

I'm starting to think my hearing is going on me because I'll get it set, check the guitar playing octaves and 5ths and is sounds good, get in a band situation and yuck.
I read somewhere that this tuner is so accurate that, once you get your guitar intonated and tuned up with it, every other instrument in your band sounds off from yours. Perhaps you should get your entire band to use this tuner for starters...

Bob V

You may have a sensitive enough ear that you can benefit from a "sweetened" tuning which can be programmed into the tuner. All intonation adjustments are a compromise, so this is one way to deal with it. Another popular option for people who can hear the difference (no offense, I wish I had that sensitive an ear) is to Buzz Feiten-ize the axe which involves, among other things, a new compensated nut.

EADGBE

I tune using all open strings. I set the intonation the usual way. I don't check or tune any other way i.e. harmonics, octaves, etc. I think this is the best way. Also does your guitar have a tremolo? If so who makes it? Bad tremolos can cause a guitar to go out of tune just by using it once.

With the strobo stomp you are supposed to intonate in the EQU setting. then when you are done, you can switch to your sweetened settings if you want to. But don't set the intonation while in the sweetened settings. Is this whats happening?

I don't have trouble with mine. If the guitar is intonated correctly and then tuned correctly, how would be possible to sound out of tune?

when you check with octaves and 5ths, does that mean you are adjusting the tuning and undoing the tuning you just did with the strobo stomp? that might be the problem. ???? Or do you mean you check it and not have to adjust again? I'm not sure why you'd need to check after tuning with the strobo stomp.

If it sounds good alone but bad with a band. is the band out of tune but not you?

sixstringmonk

With the strobo stomp you are supposed to intonate in the EQU setting. then when you are done, you can switch to your sweetened settings if you want to. But don't set the intonation while in the sweetened settings. Is this whats happening?
That was my initial thought after reading the first post.

dankayaker, you do know that if your 5ths are in tune (which they should be if you tune using the EQU temperment), the 3rds will be out right? That's just the nature of the guitar. You probably already know that, but I'm just throwing it out there in case.

Also, if the other strings in your band are using a boss TU-2 or other chromatic tuner, they will likely be the ones out of tune, not yourself.

dankayaker

I read somewhere that this tuner is so accurate that, once you get your guitar intonated and tuned up with it, every other instrument in your band sounds off from yours. Perhaps you should get your entire band to use this tuner for starters...

I thought about this but the keyboardist is in perfect tune and I sound out. The bassist and other guitarist are out a little I'm sure but I'm comparing the the keyboardist.

dankayaker

I don't have trouble with mine. If the guitar is intonated correctly and then tuned correctly, how would be possible to sound out of tune?

when you check with octaves and 5ths, does that mean you are adjusting the tuning and undoing the tuning you just did with the strobo stomp? that might be the problem. ???? Or do you mean you check it and not have to adjust again? I'm not sure why you'd need to check after tuning with the strobo stomp.

If it sounds good alone but bad with a band. is the band out of tune but not you?

I intonate in EQU setting and tune to same. YOu need to retune the guitar after making adjustments to your saddles . . if that's what you're
referring to.

dankayaker

You may have a sensitive enough ear that you can benefit from a "sweetened" tuning which can be programmed into the tuner. All intonation adjustments are a compromise, so this is one way to deal with it. Another popular option for people who can hear the difference (no offense, I wish I had that sensitive an ear) is to Buzz Feiten-ize the axe which involves, among other things, a new compensated nut.

I'm considering the Feiten . . .I've owned lots of guitars with it and do think it helps.

sixstringmonk

I thought about this but the keyboardist is in perfect tune and I sound out. The bassist and other guitarist are out a little I'm sure but I'm comparing the the keyboardist.
Just throwing this out there in case you hadn't thought of it: Are you sure the keyboard is set to A440? Most keyboards have the ability to vary the tuning. For an interesting experiment, run your keyboard player into your strobo on a piano patch.

dankayaker

Just throwing this out there in case you hadn't thought of it: Are you sure the keyboard is set to A440? Most keyboards have the ability to vary the tuning. For an interesting experiment, run your keyboard player into your strobo on a piano patch.
Thanks, but yes she plays in A440.
I was using 9.5 gauge on my Tyler and just went back to 10's and I'm much closer to being nicely intonated. There are so many variables when freting a note and the accuracy of the Strobo stomp shows every variation making it hard sometimes.

patpark

i've never had a guitar be perfectly in tune with a keyboard. never. with other guitars and bass, yes. but neve with a keyboard. that's what chorus pedals are for.

dankayaker

So, you're watching the tuner as you play and the needle isn't dead center.

That's what's bugging you?

What ? No I don't watch the tuner, but I play lots of big (many notes) chords
and can hear intonation issues sometimes . . especially when playing with the keyboardist.

I agree about the chorus, I've used them in the past and they really do help the guitars and keyboards play nice.

Trending Topics