• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Intonation... G string always sharp...

football

Gold Supporting Member
Wondering if anyone may offer a tip for me. My G string is always sharp at the twelfth fret when setting my intonation (and it sounds that way when playing a chord with a third in it).

The saddle is backed as far as I can get it against the bridge. Well actually it could go a touch further if I took out the spring.

Any advice appreciated.

fumbler

. . . if I took out the spring.
Perhaps you've answered your own question.

But a few things first:
1. Always use a new set of strings when setting intonation.
2. The NUT! Is the string in tune down at the first few frets? (Cowboy chords are in tune?) If not, then your problem is that your nut slots are too high. Intonation at the bridge CANNOT fix that.
3. High action/heavy strings require more intonation travel. You could try lessening one of those factors, too.

football

Gold Supporting Member
Perhaps you've answered your own question.

But a few things first:
1. Always use a new set of strings when setting intonation.
2. The NUT! Is the string in tune down at the first few frets? (Cowboy chords are in tune?) If not, then your problem is that your nut slots are too high. Intonation at the bridge CANNOT fix that.
3. High action/heavy strings require more intonation travel. You could try lessening one of those factors, too.
Yes, new strings. I'll check the nut closely tomorrow, in a car for the day and then right on stage for a gig tonight. Jim Mouradian put the nut in recently so it's likely ok. Action is a bit high and strung with 10's. Frets are a good bit worn.

Is it ok to take the spring out to get the saddle closer back? I just don't if that's ok or will screw something up.

Thank you for your help.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Football and Fumbler...:rotflmao:rotflmao
Just the names...together forever!

Oh yeah, about the guitar...take out the spring.
I presume the rest of the strings intonate properly.

football

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, it's a Strat. Pickups are super low from the strings.

I think the other strings intonate ok. I'm definitely a novice on the tech front though.

Mid-gig right now so have to mess with it more tomorrow.

Thanks again guys :)

blong

Silver Supporting Member
When your G string gets caught on your nut it can be kinda sharp. It's painful, too. To the ear, I mean. Widen the nut slot. If you have proper files you can do it. If you don't, take it to a KNOWLEDGEABLE tech. Not all techs know what they are doing.

Bob

A. East

1) Replace the string. The one that's on there, even if new, may be out of round.

2) Start with a straight neck and check you nut height.

3) Make sure the string isn't binding in the slot

4) Check for any burs that might be in the saddle and get rid of them

5) If it's a Strat (especially with staggered pole pieces) check to make sure the pickups aren't too close to the strings.

I hope that helps!

football

Gold Supporting Member
1) Replace the string. The one that's on there, even if new, may be out of round.

2) Start with a straight neck and check you nut height.

3) Make sure the string isn't binding in the slot

4) Check for any burs that might be in the saddle and get rid of them

5) If it's a Strat (especially with staggered pole pieces) check to make sure the pickups aren't too close to the strings.

I hope that helps!
There are burs in the saddle. Easiest way to get rid of them would be to file down?

Thank you guys

A. East

There are burs in the saddle. Easiest way to get rid of them would be to file down?

Thank you guys
Try some synthetic (don't use the real stuff) steel wool first. If you have the right file and you're comfortable doing the work, you could give that shot. I would try the steel wool first.

Let me know if it's not doing the trick.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom