Intonation Issue

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by guitarman1956, Feb 25, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

Put a new neck on my 97 Fender Lonestar. I'm having a devil of a time getting it to intonate. No matter where I move the saddles, the tuner always reads sharp. Any ideas on what I can try next? Here'z what I've done:

Proper neck relief
    moved saddles all the way forward and back very slowly
    adjustment of the claw to insure the bridge is level to the guitar surface

2. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

One thing that may seem trivial, but is the new neck 25.5 inch scale too, or is it a different scale.Could be 25.0 or 24.75.

3. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

1. Scale length correct ?
    2. Nut cut properly ?
    3. Tuner working ?
    4. DR strings ?
    5. Are strings fretting out ?

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

A couple things to check:

1. Nut slots are too high, this will make all the lower fretted notes sharp.
    2. Too much relief, I use less relief now as it seems I get better results intonating the guitar.

Here's what I do to intonate my guitars.

1. Set the A string so it measures in tune all along the neck. I use this for my reference for all the other strings, the point is you tune guitars to be in tune with themselves not to be calibrated to each string from an outside source. Until you get past this point your results will always be less then they could be.

2. Use my A reference by hitting a harmonic on the 12th fret and comparing this to the fretted D string at the 7th fret. The D string should be tuned to pitch using a tuner prior to doing this. The fretted note will either be sharp or flat, adjust the saddle so when this note is fretted it is the same pitch. You can then double check by playing an open D and playing the A string at the 5th fret. If you did it right both strings should be in tune to each other regardless of how you play them.

3. Do this on all the strings, follow the same idea and double check like stated earlier. If you have any more questions let me know.

5. plord

plord Member

'Splain? How do DR strings affect intonation?

Paul

6. angelo

angelo Member

Boy, with a production strat, saddles all the way back should not be sharp.

Maybe check or get a different tuner?????

If I can get the open dead on and the 12th fret moving just a touch to the sharp, I am happy (for some reason I like it that way).

I obviously don't have an answer for you. I guess I am confirming your suspicions that this is a problem. Sorry I can't be of more help....

7. tmgcustom

tmgcustom Member

Try checking your pickup height. If any of them are too close to the strings, it can pull the note sharp. Hope this helps.