Intonation keeps going out/Strat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 6Tones, Feb 2, 2015.

1. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

The intonation on my Fender American special strat goes slightly off sometimes after only week or so of playing.

Guessing some how the saddles are moving slightly somehow.

Im pretty sensitive to intonation and it bugs me when its a few cents or less off.

Maybe I should try some sort of glue nail polish to help keep them in place?
    The strat has Callaham saddles and the stock fender tremolo bridge which I have set flush (no pull) to help tuning stability .
    I notice some of the springs behind the saddle are alittle short and dont put alot of pressure on the saddle...maybe thats making the saddles shift slightly?
    (There is no wiggle room side to side they are flush)

2. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

I just upgraded my tuners on my Strat to locking Klusons and a TonePro bridge on my Les Paul.

It's a round about answer to your problem but higher quality parts transform guitars....

I cannot say how much these parts ROCK and improve the guitars.

3. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

I have locking tuners on the guitar, it doesn't go out of tune but the intonation seems to not stay for long.

4. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

I meant you may choose to swap out the bridge for a higher quality one - rather than struggle on.

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

With old strings? Intonation goes as the string gets played. Even after a few days of hard playing, it can drift on me. Especially if you have tall frets and/or press hard.

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Are the nut slots cut deep enough?

7. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

This. A very overlooked aspect of intonation.

8. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Had a problem with one for years...turned out one of the neck screws was stripped out. Once I addressed that it worked perfectly.

9. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Was thinking this, it has jumbo frets..strings are about 2 weeks old.
    I have a mex strat with pretty much the same bridge setup (different string spacing) and dont have as much a problem.
    My local gtr tech does the work ,the nut looks ok but I might look more into that too..

10. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

The saddles aren't moving the string is wearing and hardening and becoming more rigid which changes the amount of adjustment necessary.

If you're fussy and going to keep strings on for more than a week or so, then you'll need to touch up the adjustment.