Intonation on a PRS Custom 22

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Tanner Vix, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Hey guys, through this board I was told that I "HAD" to buy a strobostomp tuner. Well I did and now when I go to play I can really notice that my intonation is off on my PRS custom 22. Ironic huh? I spent about 3 hours adjusting/tuning/adjusting and I still don't think I have it.

I have the fixed bridge version and my top EBG strings were sharp at the 12th fret (fretted) but the 12th fret open harmonic is flat compared to the open tuning. So, to me this doesn't make sense because if I go by the open harmonic it will be super sharp when I make the intonation adjustment but if I use the fretted 12th it sounds much closer to my ears. Are my ears playing tricks or am I not adjusting this right? What's the correct way to set the intonation on these PRS's? I've heard many ways to do it but I finally started going buy my ears.

So what I did was to fret the 12th and lengthen the string (turned the allen screw to make the string longer) but I'm still fighting and don't think I have it right yet. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Lowchunk

Lowchunk Guest

I've got a PRS Custom 22 amongst others as well. If yours is stock you have the non-adjustable wrap-around bridge version...they call it adjustable but you can only adjust the outside strings really, it only works on 9-42 which is a real girls gauge considering it's a 25" scale. A terrible design for a pretty decent guitar.I've got 2 suggestions...

1. Get a Tone Pros wraparound bridge (AVT2P)...it has fully intonatable (locking) saddles, locking posts so your bridge never falls off changing strings, and should increase your tone and resonance to boot. It also weighs about twice the stock PRS one. But until you do...

2. Intonate the outside strings, matching the open string note to the 12th fretted note...Dan Erlewine recommends this amongst others, I find the harmonic not always accurate...plus these are the notes you play more. The G string will probably be out though, so you might have to get an average between them. Once intonated check with E and A 5 string power chords (root/fifths only) for beating. Also, adjust your truss rod if necessary first, you should have just a slight relief at most.

3. This should work, but past this there is a Buzz Feiten installation or Fretwave...but the Tone Pros should definitely work. Good luck.

3. Doug

Doug Member

If you have the standard PRS stoptail, you should be able to intonate the 1st and 6th strings and be good to go. I have 10's on both of my PRS stoptail guitars, and they both intonate perfectly. PRS already uses a compensated nut, so no Buzz Feiten installation is necessary. Good luck!

Doug

4. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Thanks guys.

Lowchunk- I have the two E strings about as perfect as I can get them (with strobostomp) and the G string is still not where it should be. I will definitely look into the Tone Pros Bridge. I knew my ears were working correctly. It's definitely a tough adjustment in my opinion compared to the strat style guitar I used to have.

5. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

Tanner
    Check your email.