Intonation problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Paully1, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Paully1

Paully1 Member

I've got a Squier Strat SE and I got it strung up, set the relief .010, set the action 4/64 on 1st and 6th strings and strings 2-5 following the 9.5 fret board radius.
    Working on intonation and ran into a problem, I got strings 1-5 as close as possible with the bridge saddles I have, MIM import bridge with ss saddles and full sizeblock
    http://anthillmusic.com/products/fender-original-vintage-style-strat-tremolo-bridge-mim
    I'm having a real problem intonating the 6th string. I can get the string in tune open and at 12th fret harmonic but fretted at 12 the closest I can get is D#, and I'm out of travel on the saddle. Would a height adjustment on the saddle help?
    Anyone got a tip or trick

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. David Collins

David Collins Member

Change the string, and make sure your neck pickup isn't too high.

3. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Agree. Make sure none of the pickups are too high.

4. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Silver Supporting Member

Try to intonate the guitar with the pickups a good 5/8" away from the strings.....if it intonates well, your pickups were too close to the strings..... if it doesn't, you either have a bad string or a poorly cut nut slot.

5. Paully1

Paully1 Member

6. smithguitars

smithguitars Member

Try the octave. Open string compared with the fretted note. (Fret flat? Forward...)My preferred method, cuz harmonics don't factor string stretch into the equation. Med to High action can throw the harmonic, and I want to know the fretted notes are all good.

7. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

I would follow all of the above advice, but in addition I would raise that Low E to 5/64" @ the 12th, and worry more about getting True notes in Tune @ the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th Frets....in other words where the Low E string is most often used.

8. Paully1

Paully1 Member

I loosend and re-streached the strings, that was my first problem.
    I measured the scale length and roughed in the saddles.
    Lubricated all strings contact points.
    Dropped p'ups to 8/64ths on high and low side.
    Worked with good tuner and now it's extremely close on all strings as close as a tempered instrument can get with my equipment and abilities.

Thanks for the help,
    Paully

9. mlp-mx6

mlp-mx6 Member

Rather than comparing 12th-fret octaves, compare 9th to 21st fret octaves. I'll bet you like the overall intonation better.

Get the open string in tune, then set the intonation so that the 9th/21st octave is as close to in tune as you can get it.