Intonation SHARP. HELP! Set-up Help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DrOctagon, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

I've got a new Esquire the bridge is similar if not the same exact thing as a Tele and no matter what the intonation on the low E is sharp. I've tried bringing the saddles back and forth and raising and lowing the action. No matter what I do it's always a little off. Does anyone have any tips for setting up intonation or just setting up in general. I'm trying to take a DIY approach to everything I can right now.

2. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

My guess is that you've got a duff string, so I'd say change it out.

This presupposes that you don't have the pickup hideously close to the low string of course.

Also, make sure you give each string a little downward push just forward of the two take-off points, (nut and saddle) in order to insure that the speaking length of the string is dead straight - this will assist in getting an accurate reading with your tuner and/or ear.

There's reams of info on the 'net regarding setting up a guitar, with a pretty good one going on right here at TGP at the moment - study up my freind!

Strings can be bad - it happens.

3. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

maybe the nut is the culprit?