Intonation when switching to 11's

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Rusty G., Mar 23, 2008.

1. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've just switched from 10's to 11's on one of my guitars, looking for a bigger sound. All I've got is intonation problems. Is there somewhere I can go to learn to intonate the strings?

Thanks in advance.

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

3. Bob V

Bob V Member

Dan Erlewine is known for a book he wrote called the Guitar Player Repair Guide (now in it's third edition, a really thorough tome on guitar construction and repair). He also has a short book that's very helpful called "how to make your electric guitar play great" which is really a good set-up guide. Explains relief (trussrod tension), nut and bridge saddle heights, tremolo spring adjustments, and intonation.

By the way, do the intonation last after you've done all the other adjustments in the setup. Going from .010 to.011 shouldn't require any nut-slot filing or trussrod adjustment or even saddle height changes, but if it does you need to do those first since they all affect the required compensation to get correct intonation.

4. Monroe

Monroe Guest

You might just want to have someone look at the neck relief, too.
    Changing to a heavier gauge will increase tension on the neck, usually creating more relief. If you don't know what I'm talking about, take it to a competent (not GC) tech.

5. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I don't understand the guitar at all. It's a great guitar, and sounded great with 10's. (I'm not going to name the brand, because it's a well known builder, and might be something with me and not the guitar). Anway, it seems that I can tune it up for playing open chords, but when I start moving up the neck, the guitar goes out of tune. . .Play back on the open chords and it's O.K. . .I'm sure it's got to be something with the intonation, as I've never noticed it before with this guitar.

6. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

For some reason, I've found that going from 9s to 10s is not nearly as big of a stretch as going from 10s to 11s.