intro and ending

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by purestmonk, Dec 22, 2009.

1. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

Im just going to bring up a topic that isnt talked about very much.

How about share some ways you introduce and end a tune?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. JonR

JonR Member

At the beginning I start playing, and at the end I stop.

Generally that seems to work, as long as the rest of the band do it at the same time.

:D

Seriously, I don't have any "ways" that apply to tunes in general. I think it depends on the song itself - or maybe on the genre.
    However, there are some cute ways of finishing tunes that I sometimes can't resist. Eg, if it's a minor key (esp a ballad) ending on a m(add9) or m6 is a cheesy sound that's often irresistible. The m(add9) is wistful, poignant, sweet, while the m6 is quirky, quizzical, more mysterious. (But both are still cheesy...)
    There's a guy I know who likes that m6 sound (a little too much for my liking), but he is even more addicted to ending major key tunes with a b7 on the tonic, even when it's not a blues. Drives me mad...

I like 6th chords at the end in major keys, if it's a country or rockabilly tune - again it's a little cheesy (esp if overdone...), but suits the genre, IMO. (6th chords are of course the preferred choice in jazz if the melody finishes on the tonic.)

3. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Yes, we often end on some kind of sus4, add9, or even on the actual IV chord. Then we just peter out and people aren't sure if we're done or not. :D

4. JonR

JonR Member

Yes, ending on IV is a great "huh?" sound. :) (Knockin' on Heaven's Door tempts you to do that - too obvious to just go back to I.)

5. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

I like ending on a minor6, for example in a minor tune that ends on the tonic minor, but just add the major 6th in, that's cool.

But Im thinking more of formats to end and to start. I think a classic example of good start and intro would be cannonball's version of autumn leaves.

Someone who is a monster at intros would be Brad Mehldau.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph48xoGjl1c

He is sick

Feel free to post some intro and endings that you like .. I will post more soon

6. JonR

JonR Member

Yes, we use something similar for Love for Sale - a kind of G minor pent latin riff, leading into the C.
    Can't remember where we stole it from, probably Kate Williams quartet (and I don't know if she stole it from somewhere).
    Oh yeah, I use that one all the time...
    NOT!

I love everything I've heard Mehldau do.

7. ivers

ivers Member

Hampton Hawes was great at intros, like in this clip. Some very nice ones on his mid 50's trio albums as well.

8. gennation

gennation Member

I think if there is one thing Hendrix did well, it was his intro's. He wrote the best intro's of the rock guitar breed I always thought.

Sabbath and Zep were great as was Cream, the Kinks, and Iron Butterfly, but I still think Hendrix held the cards on having distinctive and grabbing intro's.

Not sure about endings. Bowie seemed to always know how to end a tune in it's own right, as well as The Beatles. Yes had some pretty good endings too.

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Joe talks about this exact subject starting at 3:00

Here's a simple 1 chord intro to a blues by Howard Roberts

10. stevel

stevel Member

Sometimes, when I'm in a good mood (rarely), I'll play "and many more" at the end of every tune we play just to annoy my bandmates. Luckily for them, since I'm usually a grouch, they only have to hear it at the end of Brown Eyed Girl and/or Mustang Sally ;-)

Steve

11. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

Thanks for pointing out .. I didnt realise that before and I just did. I went to listen to the hendrix songs and yes he almost always does some sort of an intro before the song proper

12. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

I got turned on to this intro and ending thing a couple of years back when I saw that exact joe pass video! it's just great. the simple intro is great too, you can do so much with one chord, sweeet

13. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

it's amazing how piano players always come up with such intricate stuff!

14. small axe

small axe Member

i start of with a happy song and end with a sad song