Introduce me to Jazz please!

natevi

Ok so I know Joe Pass... thats were it stops! I LOVE jazz but mind you I've been a fingerstyle player for quite some time now... so please introduce me to some solo jazz!

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
Wes Montgomery - Smokin at the Half Note
Charlie Christian - The Genius of the Electric Guitar
Joe Pass - Virtuoso
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
John Coltrane - The Very Best of John Coltrane

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Some jazz guitarists:
Grant Green
Kenny Burrell
George Benson
Larry Carlton
John Mclaughlin
Al DiMeola
Jim Hall
Jimmy Bruno

John Coltrane- Giant Steps and A Love Supreme (especially the latter, for me)
Dr. Lonnie Smith- Think!

gotta add to the list slowly... ya know? ;)

JSeth

As a fingerstyle player, you may be able to get next to Ralph Towner's playing pretty easily... check out "solo" or "Batik"... a couple of my favorites are "Matchbook" and "Slideshow", with Ralph Towner (acoustic 12 string and classical) and Gary Burton(vibraharp and marimba)...

Jim Hall is my favorite living guitarist; he has a multitude of fine recordings to choose from... all different size groups, from solo to bigger band stuff, over the past 50 years or so... Pat Metheny is a wonderful guitarist, one of the most notable and prolific in these past 35 years or so...

Jazz is a lot more than guitarists... a wealth of recorded history from so many wonderful players... have fun with this! You have some real treats in store for your ears, heart and head...

When you say "solo jazz" do you specifically mean unaccompanied guitar?

What have you been listening to, the Virtuoso albums?

If you are looking for solo guitar...off the top of my head

George Van Eps
Johnny Smith
Gene Bertoncini
Ted Greene
Joe Diorio

You could add just about anyone else, because everyone does some solo pieces.....

Last edited:

Blanket Jackson

Every day is like Tio's birthday
Gold Supporting Member
There are lots of great, inspiring jazz albums. Here are the ones that won me over:
- Pat Methany Group (the white cover, ECM)
- Miles In A Silent Way
- Pat Martino Consciousness
- Jimmy Smith The Sermon
- Wes Mongomery Picture of Wes
- Alan Holdsworth IOU

ando

Silver Supporting Member
for fingerstyle jazz check out Martin Taylor & the late great Lenny Breau..

rrhea

John Scofield is a must listen
Brian Bromberg is awesome
Larry Carlton

ditto on Grant Green... one my all time faves!

Also, check out the newer Fusion guys out there playing some beautiful stuff (Brian Bromberg is one of them).

This guy is my new favorite guitarist at the moment...

Alex Hutchings:

It's hard to think of them all on the spot. :)

RR

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
George Benson! Tuck Andress! and all of the above especially Wes Montgoimery!

dlguitar64

Jazz Guitar-Eddie Lang,Lonnie Johnson,Django Reinhardt,Charlie Christian,Jimmy Raney,Jim Hall Wes Montgomery,Joe Pass,George Benson,Pat Martino,John McLaughlin.Pat Metheny,John Scofield,Bill Frisell,Kurt Rosenwinkel

Jazz in General-Louis Armstrong,Duke Ellington,Art Tatum,Lester Young,Charlie Parker,Dizzy Gillespie,Thelonious Monk,Bud Powell,Max Roach,Miles Davis,Clifford Brown,Sonny Rollins,Bill Evans,Charles Mingus,John Coltrane,Ornette Coleman,Art Blakey,Wayne Shorter,McCoy Tyner,Elvin Jones,Tony Williams,Herbie Hancock,Keith Jarrett,Chick Corea,Michael Brecker,Brad Mehldau,Dave Douglas,Chris Potter,Brian Blade,Christian McBride to name a few.

tommyg

George Benson! Tuck Andress! and all of the above especially Wes Montgoimery!
+10000 on Tuck Andress!!!! My FAVORITE finger-style jazz guitarist whether solo or with his wife Patti Cathcart ("Tuck & Patti)...

bluegrif

Silver Supporting Member
Try something like iTunes where you can listen to short clips. Jazz, much like rock, is all over the map. It's evolved in all kinds of directions. I like jazz from the 30s to the 60s and my faves are players like Grant Green, Wes, Charlie Christian, Herb Ellis, etc. But a lot of what falls under the general heading of "jazz" I don't care for at all. Hell, I'm a blues musician, and a lot of what's called blues I don't like at all either. You really need to do some listening to hone in on what moves you. And luckily, nowadays, you don't have to actually buy a bunch of recordings to do that.