Introducing a "dummy" coil to strat-type to reduce "hum"??

Boze

Hello all.
As the title questions, I'm in the market to replace the current pups in my 62'spec S-type partscaster. There are quite a few of vintage type, great sounding replacement pups I can chose from , but the thought of the single-coil hum had me searching for ways around that while maintaining the vintage mojo I'm looking for.

So I stumbled upon installing a dummy-coil and as expected, there are more than several YT videos on that too. So if anyone has experience with this process, my question is for you: Having a regular wired up 3 pup config for a strat w/5 position switch (N-NM-M-MB-B), since the idea is to introduce another coil for all single-coil positions, what happens at positions 2 & 4? Will there be "hum" again at these spots because you're essentially having 3 coils going on? If so, is there a work-around for this set-up?

Thanks

The trade off is now the bridge volume control now functions backwards, 10 is now 0 and 0 is now 10
Works great on my 59 Es-225

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
The Fender Powerhouse Strat had a dummy coil and preamp.
You can look at that for configuration ideas.
A dummy coil will affect the tone through the extra loading.
It can be switched in and out, if wired to do that, providing quieting only if needed.

Best way to do it with true single coils, imo, is to use a set without a RWRP middle and use the Ilitch noise canceling backplate.
There are some really good noiseless pickups available too, just as another option.
I you love your pups the Ilitch allows you to keep them and reduce noise.
Low noise pups are the easy and/or cheaper way if you find any that you like.

JWDubois

The Fender Powerhouse Strat had a dummy coil and preamp.
You can look at that for configuration ideas.
A dummy coil will affect the tone through the extra loading.
It can be switched in and out, if wired to do that, providing quieting only if needed.

I you love your pups the Ilitch allows you to keep them and reduce noise.
Low noise pups are the easy and/or cheaper way if you find any that you like.
I've got a Powerhouse Strat and it never worked very well in terms of being noiseless. I ended up ripping the preamp and dummy coil out years ago.

I still use the body in my partscaster.

xmd5a

Hello all.
As the title questions, I'm in the market to replace the current pups in my 62'spec S-type partscaster. There are quite a few of vintage type, great sounding replacement pups I can chose from , but the thought of the single-coil hum had me searching for ways around that while maintaining the vintage mojo I'm looking for.

So I stumbled upon installing a dummy-coil and as expected, there are more than several YT videos on that too. So if anyone has experience with this process, my question is for you: Having a regular wired up 3 pup config for a strat w/5 position switch (N-NM-M-MB-B), since the idea is to introduce another coil for all single-coil positions, what happens at positions 2 & 4? Will there be "hum" again at these spots because you're essentially having 3 coils going on? If so, is there a work-around for this set-up?

Thanks
The Illitch coil is the best. None are perfect. The impedance of any dummy coil will inevitably load the pickup.

The only no-BS way to go is probably EMGs, a set that is vintage voiced.

ripgtr

Best way to do it with true single coils, imo, is to use a set without a RWRP middle and use the Ilitch noise canceling backplate.
There are some really good noiseless pickups available too, just as another option.
I liked the Ilitch so much on my one strat, I put one on my vintage one too. No unbroken solder joints were hurt in installing it, lol. And has been said, he has a way of doing it with rwrp now too, but if the OP is going to get a whole new set, it is a lot easier setting it up with non rwrp, If I remember right.

The zexcoils sound like real single coils, only noise cancelling ones I've tried I can say that about. Dead quiet. The ilitch is probably 90-95%. Which would be more than enough in anything but extreme conditions.

A dummy coil should change the impedence of the pickup a little bit and change the sound some. But here is the thing with the Ilitch- I put mine on a switch, and on or off, I couldn't hear a difference. Amp dead clean, or OD, if there is a change is must be way up there past where I can hear these days.

Trending Topics