Introducing The American Ultra Series | Fender

apeekaboo

Can't watch it with sound atm. Looks great though! The fat strat seem to have everything I already have in my Edwards Snapper, for double the price. I'm being a bit cheeky here... But if I absolutely had to have the Fender name on the headstock, I'd be interested.

Just looked at them all on the Fender site. Color choices range from mundane to just plain ugly. That’s the best they could come up with. I guess “Ultra Burst” sounds better than “Almost A Clown Burst”
I'm all the way to Clown Burst, already.

One should, as Cutaway said above, buy the used Deluxe for $ 800. $ 1,200 will buy one heck of a lot of fantastic pickups.

Remember, not all new products are better than the ones preceding them.

COYS

The Elite series seems to have been renamed Ultra, so these are just incremental updates.

Elite had a compound C to D neck profile - the Ultra has "Modern D"
Elite had a 9.5"-14" compound radius - Ultra has 10"-14"
Elite had N4 Noiseless pickups - Ultra has "Ultra Noiseless" pickups (a 5th generation?)
Elite had S-1 switching - Ultra has S-1 plus 'Gilmour' switching option
Additional sculpted body contours

Looks nice to me. The Elites were already great and I think this will improve them even further to the eye of those who aren't vintage purists.

Pongo

I’ll be a good consumer and give the Jazzmaster an honest try, but from what (admittedly very little) I’ve seen and heard so far, a used American Pro/Std JM is much more likely.

The Deluxe/Elite line were very good guitars, but the extra bells and whistles have always been unnecessary or felt tacked on. I can’t imagine that not being the case here. It’s kind of a curse — at some point of sleek sportiness, they just don’t feel like “Fender” to me anymore. Like a ‘68 Ford Mustang trying to be a BMW M8 or something: too nice for their own good, if that makes any sense.

Agramal

Supporting Member
The Elite series seems to have been renamed Ultra, so these are just incremental updates.

Elite had a compound C to D neck profile - the Ultra has "Modern D"
Elite had a 9.5"-14" compound radius - Ultra has 10"-14"
Elite had N4 Noiseless pickups - Ultra has "Ultra Noiseless" pickups (a 5th generation?)
Elite had S-1 switching - Ultra has S-1 plus 'Gilmour' switching option
Additional sculpted body contours

Looks nice to me. The Elites were already great and I think this will improve them even further to the eye of those who aren't vintage purists.
I hope this drives down Elite used prices.

Trending Topics