Introducing The American Ultra Series | Fender

jdel77

Supporting Member
That is sexay.

Good pup and pickguard choice.

For pickups, I think people satisfied by the Ultra pups would be satisfied by the N4s, and people who wouldn't, would change out pups on either guitar. For now I'm keeping the N4s but I have 2 spare cs69 pups and getting some bridge wouldn't break my budget. The only thing stopping me is the CS 69s are very staggered and I don't want stratitis.
The Noiseless weren't bad, just not my bag. I love Duncans, got them in nearly all my guitars!

Airoz

The OLD Ultra’s where brilliant guitars, it’s funny how the most advanced current production proper strat with anything “Leo” involved is The G&L Legacy/S500

valvestate

The tones from the "blower" switch seem fine to me. Honestly, it is hardly different than just switching to the bridge PU the regular way. A tad brighter, perhaps, but good for that sizzle if you want it. Maybe the Shawbucker is just a PU that works well for that. The main benefit for me, though, is just being able to toggle between some other PU combination with volume and tone adjusted and the bridge. I will admit, however, the placement of the switch is not the best. It's wedged between the tone knobs and I could see it being hard to find on the fly. I also have found sometimes I forget it is on and wonder why the tones don't sound right.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it that the Passing Lane "blower switch" is the same function as the "No Tone Load Pot' ?

I remember that my old 2009/2010 American Standard has that function and it just sucks... why do you want to have more treble from a bridge pickup.
o_O

CapnRex

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it that the Passing Lane "blower switch" is the same function as the "No Tone Load Pot' ?

I remember that my old 2009/2010 American Standard has that function and it just sucks... why do you want to have more treble from a bridge pickup.
o_O
1) you don't want a guitar that blows you at the touch of a button?
2) refer to question 1.

mody

marketing people don’t come up with product lines.
:eek:

Actually I'm warming up to the series; the neck profiles are intriguing and those bound tele's do look nice. More power to Fender!

If they're using nitro finish on the necks I'm in. Are they?

bluegrif

I'll tell you one thing I prefer, the tinted necks. The regular clear finished necks always look a little bleached to me.

I also felt, in the Anderton's video at least (the only one I watched), the latest Noiseless pickups sounded a little nicer than the previous version. I've never tried noiseless pickups I've been happy with but I hope I get a chance to try these.

The new version of the S1 switching does seem way more useful. I'd have to own one awhile to see how much I'd actually use it. But being able to get bridge and neck together on a Strat is a common and useful mod, so there ya go.

I'm also in the camp of those for whom this combination of features aren't what I'd hand pick. But so what? Nothing is all things to all people. These seem like they'd be good, workhorse Fenders for a lot of musicians who might be in the market for something new.

burner

Gag.
Yanno, if *I* was in charge of Fender I think everyone would be a lot happier with the offerings, but...
If they knew what was good for 'em, they'd hire me on and let me revamp the entire line of guitars across the board and they'd watch the bottom line increase....u know, bcuz it's not too damn hard to figure out what people want and dont want outta Fender.
Still, they continue to tinker and tamper with the most unnecessary bullsh!t in an attempt to...i dont KNOW what..???

metropolis_4

They still think the S1 is a good idea? I found it useless.
They’ve completely changed what it does. Actually seems like the new version of it will be pretty useful.

In the HSS Strat it taps the bridge humbucker

In the SSS Strat it adds the neck pickup to bridge and bridge/middle positions

In the Tele it puts the pickups in series

I'll tell you one thing I prefer, the tinted necks. The regular clear finished necks always look a little bleached to me.

I also felt, in the Anderton's video at least (the only one I watched), the latest Noiseless pickups sounded a little nicer than the previous version. I've never tried noiseless pickups I've been happy with but I hope I get a chance to try these.

The new version of the S1 switching does seem way more useful. I'd have to own one awhile to see how much I'd actually use it. But being able to get bridge and neck together on a Strat is a common and useful mod, so there ya go.

I'm also in the camp of those for whom this combination of features aren't what I'd hand pick. But so what? Nothing is all things to all people. These seem like they'd be good, workhorse Fenders for a lot of musicians who might be in the market for something new.
I had the same thoughts. The S1 seems more useful, I prefer the neck tint, and in that video I also liked the sounds better. I also really like a few of the new color choices

Groberts

Silver Supporting Member
I held a Fender Ultra Strat yesterday. The trem bridge was floating and riding too high so my shop rep asked if I would rather wait and until their luthier does a proper set up (today) before I plugged it in. I was more curious than anything so I opted to come back today or tomorrow. But man, the neck felt great. The body contours and sculpting are super great, the dark rosewood FB was nice and thick and had awesome rolled FB edges. Superb looking guitar and it felt great. I can't wait to hear it.

handyman

They’ve completely changed what it does. Actually seems like the new version of it will be pretty useful.

In the HSS Strat it taps the bridge humbucker

In the SSS Strat it adds the neck pickup to bridge and bridge/middle positions

In the Tele it puts the pickups in series

I had the same thoughts. The S1 seems more useful, I prefer the neck tint, and in that video I also liked the sounds better. I also really like a few of the new color choices
I've had some of the G&L guitars that have the SSS neck + bridge switch, and it is indeed WAY more useful than a series switch. I've always wondered why Strats never had neck+bridge in the first place - its a really great sound. In fact, I end up using it way more than the standard 2 or 4 positions.

All of the elitists hobby players are upset with a carved heel that's finally comfortable and gives incentive to want to actually play past the 15th fret for once.

John C

Silver Supporting Member

o_O
Somewhat - but it also bypasses whatever your settings of the tone pot and 5-way switch and gives you the bridge humbucker at full volume. Only on the HSS models - last version of the American Deluxe (2010-2015) and the American Elite.

Trending Topics