• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Introducing The American Ultra Series | Fender

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I think the "Mocha Burst" is kind of cool in that it's different in a non-traditional way. A sunburst with solid metallics is kind of cool. It does remind me a tiny bit of Antigua (which itself was created to cover binding mistakes!).

But some of the other colors have me a bit perplexed:
- Maybe my monitor is weird, but is the "Plasma Red Burst" just another name for what is obviously Cherry Sunburst?
- Along the same lines, I'm staring at the Strat pics on the Fender site. I can't see how "Ultraburst" is anything other than a fancy name for 3 Color Sunburst. Huh?
Isn't "Texas Tea" just Black?

Then again, the new name thing seems to be a theme. The Vintera series is basically slightly tweaked Mexican Classic Series with a cool new name. Um, okay. This entire Ultra Series is kind of slightly tweaked Elites.

bluegrif

I think the "Mocha Burst" is kind of cool in that it's different in a non-traditional way. A sunburst with solid metallics is kind of cool. It does remind me a tiny bit of Antigua (which itself was created to cover binding mistakes!).

- Maybe my monitor is weird, but is the "Plasma Red Burst" just another name for what is obviously Cherry Sunburst?
- Along the same lines, I'm staring at the Strat pics on the Fender site. I can't see how "Ultraburst" is anything other than a fancy name for 3 Color Sunburst. Huh?

Then again, the new name thing seems to be a theme. The Vintera series is basically slightly tweaked Mexican Classic Series with a cool new name. Um, okay. This entire Ultra Series is kind of slightly tweaked Elites.
Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but seems to me, in the Anderton's video, the "Ultraburst" had a bit of sparkle in it. Doesn't look that way in the still photos but they zoomed in on it in the vid.

This entire Ultra Series is kind of slightly tweaked Elites.

Right......
It replaced the elite line... just like the Elite line was a slightly tweaked version of the American Deluxe series that it also replaced.

I'm still struggling to see why TGP has such a problem with all this :dunno

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but seems to me, in the Anderton's video, the "Ultraburst" had a bit of sparkle in it. Doesn't look that way in the still photos but they zoomed in on it in the vid.
Ah, thanks. That makes more sense. The photos on the Fender site seem to lack the sparkle completely (or my eyes are bad!).

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Right......
It replaced the elite line... just like the Elite line was a slightly tweaked version of the American Deluxe series that it also replaced.

I never said I had any sort of problem with any of it. I was just tying in the renaming thing: guitar colors and model lineups.

Strumlord

Right......

Price, truss rod location, over hype ads are a few.

I don’t understand the price complaints as I’m looking on Reverb, the old Elite series are priced about the same.
Truss rod location doesn’t bother me, I find it to be a bonus as I’ve learned to do my own adjustments.

Marketing hype was probably a huge ball drop which may have turned most people off. The changes aren't earth shattering but I really like the updated pickups and switching system.
Overall I love the guitars, eyeing the Strat inTexas Tea.

I also love the Tele in Artic white.

I don’t understand the price complaints as I’m looking on Reverb, the old Elite series are priced about the same.
Truss rod location doesn’t bother me, I find it to be a bonus as I’ve learned to do my own adjustments.

Marketing hype was probably a huge ball drop which may have turned most people off. The changes aren't earth shattering but I really like the updated pickups and switching system.

Yeah price is no higher than their "top end line of whatever name" has been. I guess I could *sort of* see how someone might not like the truss rod location, but that really boils down to personal preference at the end of the day....

And meh... its a company's job to hype up their product. Were people hoping for a nightmarish "high tech" guitar like Gibson has dropped on us in the past? There's only so much new ground to break when you're Fender. They got it damn near perfect in 1950.

John C

Gold Supporting Member

Yeah price is no higher than their "top end line of whatever name" has been. I guess I could *sort of* see how someone might not like the truss rod location, but that really boils down to personal preference at the end of the day....

And meh... its a company's job to hype up their product. Were people hoping for a nightmarish "high tech" guitar like Gibson has dropped on us in the past? There's only so much new ground to break when you're Fender. They got it damn near perfect in 1950.
Particularly since the American Ultra price is either $50 or $100 less than the American Elite was a couple of months ago - Fender dropped the American Elite price $200 about 6-8 weeks ago.

maydaynyc

Gold Supporting Member
I played the HSS strat yesterday. It played and sounded really nice. Reminded me of a high end Suhr. Neck felt great below 12th fret, but the compound radius board gets too flat for me in the upper register. I wish they offered a 10" radius. The one I played also had a small quality control issue - the position selector knob had a very sharp little plastic nub where the two halves were fused together. It was so sharp it nearly cut my finger when flicking to new positions. Its a small thing and a no cost fix, but annoys me that it would be there on a top of the line guitar.

Texas Tea color was really nice too.

jbat

The Texas Tea is a root beer color, it just needs to catch the light to really see it. I think it looks sweet with that color and the rosewood board.

metropolis_4

It's interesting looking at what's in stock at the big stores. Looks like Texas Tea has been an especially popular color. Both the Strats and the Tele are out of stock almost everywhere. The HSS strats with rosewood are also getting hard to come by.

valvestate

I played the HSS strat yesterday. It played and sounded really nice. Reminded me of a high end Suhr. Neck felt great below 12th fret, but the compound radius board gets too flat for me in the upper register. I wish they offered a 10" radius.
Seems the main gripe with these new Ultra are the neck/ radius. :oops:

Daang it... it will still be weeks before this gets stocked in our store! Can't wait!

pedalo

I have the Texas Tea Tele.

It looks absolutely perfect and goes well alongside my Rustic Ash Stratocaster with aluminium scratch plate.

It plays really well and I really like the neck and finger board.

My only gripe is that the pickups sound a bit lacklustre. I don’t even really care about them being noiseless. My strat has Texas Specials and they sound massive in comparison.

I’m not in a rush to change them but wondered if anyone has recommendations for new pickups.

I noticed in a video there is a hum bucker slot available in the neck and would consider getting one there if it would sound good.

noisyneil

I tried the Ultra Strat recently and have to admit that I fell in love with the neck. I could take or leave the other modern features and I’m not keen on the look of the knobs or the excessively branded pickups. As a matter of fact, I think the only reason I liked the neck so much was the extra-rolled edges; they make playing thumb-over a bit easier. Well, that and the satin board feel.

If I could buy a "Modern D" neck and stick it on my 90s MIJ I’d be pretty happy. Unfortunately I don’t think you can buy them.

Well, what with all this talk about necks and stuff...

I bought a new MiM neck: Roasted Maple Stratocaster® Neck, 22 Jumbo Frets, 12" radius, Maple, Flat Oval Shape. It cost £289. I got it yesterday. (It was going to be a temporary replacement while I have my old neck refretted with SS; this may change.) Examining this new neck leads me to pose one question.

If Fender's Mexican factory are turning out necks of this quality how are Fender's US factories adding any value whatsoever? This new neck destroys most CS necks I've played. It may stay on my Number one for a good while I deem.

I can't believe the quality of the piece. I know computer-controlled kit can cut and shape more accurately than any human, but it is an amazing neck and even more extraordinary value.

flume

Platinum Supporting Member
Fender had an Ultra event today at Chuck Levins. I couldn’t make it and feel badly.

Did anyone go and score one? Like maybe a mocha burst sss Strat?

meowmers

A lot of talk about Suhr's playability here, I like em, but it doesn't sound like a strat to me, so i'm considering the American Ultra.

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
A lot of talk about Suhr's playability here, I like em, but it doesn't sound like a strat to me, so i'm considering the American Ultra.
I don't like either of them. The Suhr when compared to a GOOD Fender Strat (like a Custom Shop) loses out. It sounds like a good 'flavor of a Strat" but is not nearly as classic. The Fender Ultra's to me are anemic sounding and lack soul and tonal depth. It may be the noiseless pickups. I love the fit and finish of the Ultra's but the sound to me is weaker than a decent Strat with single coil PU's. It would be interesting to put some good aftermarket Pickups in the Ultra to see if that would light it up. Why? Because the Ultras are beautiful and the features are really nice. I like the necks, the finish, colors etc. But I'd rather find a deal on a pre-owned Custom shop Fender Strat any day. Granted it might be more $$ but for pure Strat tone ...well worth it. *if you can afford one.

Trending Topics