• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Introducing The American Ultra Series | Fender

meowmers

I don't like either of them. The Suhr when compared to a GOOD Fender Strat (like a Custom Shop) loses out. It sounds like a good 'flavor of a Strat" but is not nearly as classic. The Fender Ultra's to me are anemic sounding and lack soul and tonal depth. It may be the noiseless pickups. I love the fit and finish of the Ultra's but the sound to me is weaker than a decent Strat with single coil PU's. It would be interesting to put some good aftermarket Pickups in the Ultra to see if that would light it up. Why? Because the Ultras are beautiful and the features are really nice. I like the necks, the finish, colors etc. But I'd rather find a deal on a pre-owned Custom shop Fender Strat any day. Granted it might be more $$ but for pure Strat tone ...well worth it. *if you can afford one.
Yeah while i'm at it I'm also looking at CS but that's around 1.5k extra. Am not in the US so I doubt many will ship overseas.

The CS will no doubt sound like the real deal, but are there any additional playability features besides compound radius? The Ultra looks promising aside from the lack of SS frets which is one of the biggest complaints from many here. I'm not super hard up on it if the usual doesn't wear away easily.

I'm coming from a MIJ Strat which is not lacking in tone but in playability (vintage frets, vintage radius).

abby_normal

I really feel weird liking a post then realizing it's five months old.

As far as the Ultras go I guess I'd consider one if I didn't already have an early Strat Plus that I dearly love. It has newer pickups, though. Single coils.

meowmers

A lot of talk about Suhr's playability here, I like em, but it doesn't sound like a strat to me, so i'm considering the American Ultra.
So I borrowed a Suhr and once again, same thoughts, feels and plays great but doesn't sound stratty enough for me. The one I have has ML for single coils, it's big, fat, and clear, but not completely vibey in my opinion. Anyone changed out the pickups on the Suhr and gotten results to a CS sorta vibe?

Husky

So I borrowed a Suhr and once again, same thoughts, feels and plays great but doesn't sound stratty enough for me. The one I have has ML for single coils, it's big, fat, and clear, but not completely vibey in my opinion. Anyone changed out the pickups on the Suhr and gotten results to a CS sorta vibe?
Use our 63, the ML is supposed to be darker as was Landau's preference. We are using the exact same magnets as used in the late 50's early 60's.

meowmers

Use our 63, the ML is supposed to be darker as was Landau's preference. We are using the exact same magnets as used in the late 50's early 60's.
Thanks for the reply John, don't think the dealer has em stocked since the guitar came with MLs. It's not a major issue, they're still great pickups and I just needed to tweak my amp settings (which strangely works for me across my PRS/LP/vintage Strat/hot Tele pickups).

I tried lowering the ML on the treble side a little, but i'm afraid it'll lose the responsiveness so I put it back, don't wanna mess up the setup on this.

guitarnerdswe

Thanks for the reply John, don't think the dealer has em stocked since the guitar came with MLs. It's not a major issue, they're still great pickups and I just needed to tweak my amp settings (which strangely works for me across my PRS/LP/vintage Strat/hot Tele pickups).

I tried lowering the ML on the treble side a little, but i'm afraid it'll lose the responsiveness so I put it back, don't wanna mess up the setup on this.
V63s, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Trending Topics