• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Investments: How about a vintage Les Paul.

harpinon

I'm being serious here. I am selling a large chunk of land and I need to invest for retirement.
The stock market sucks the life out of my IRA. Cd's are paying 1-2%.
I am thinking that a valuable Les Paul would fare better over a 20 year period than gold or stocks.

Experts on vintage Pauls.... convince me I'm right and help me convince the wife.

will richardson

The Tennessee to California Connection
Gold Supporting Member
Many Vintage dealers have realized that having a larger inventory of 2-5K guitars is easier to to liquidatn with high end piece is essentially that dragon slaying. i have had this discussion with dealers at some of the California guitar shows the past three plus years. The BiG dealers like Goergr G in Nashville have a waiting list for high high end items. But smaller gealers and pirviate collectors can move a Trini Lopez for 4.5 to 7.5 K easier. Of course the down side is you have to sell more pancakes if your inventory of 100 K of intruments is made of of 20 pieces.

I prefer swatting flies than killing dragans. In real estate typically more modest properties easier to unload than mansions. It does not mean u can't
make money on expensive items.

Hope this is thought provoking in a good way.

best wishes with your investments.

Keep on pickin'.

will richardson

jackbart1960

buy a guitar to play, not as a part of your portfolio.
This in spades!!! It's major value would be as a collectable. If you think the stock market is a fickle place try the collectable market. Having been involed in a collectable that 35 years ago was a fairly respected investment that is a now ghost town. Put it in the bank. You might need to eat later.
But if you have it to spend why the f%^k not. Peace. J.J.B.

Elmer

hell is chrome
The vintage guitar ship has already sailed. Buy guitars to play and if they happen to make a buck or two along the way, be happy. Wouldn't count on it for my retirement though.

Zingeroo

Personally, I don't see the prices going too much higher. I think they're going to hit a brick wall, especially in this economy.
Methinks the OP just wants to blow a chunk of cash on a guitar and is looking for a way to justify it with the old lady.

Stonesy

Vintage players grade LP Juniors are almost selling for reissue prices.
If '50's and '60's Juniors continue their slide, the end is near.

hearmecrybaby

once all the baby boomers get old and die, nobody is going to give a **** about vintage les pauls. we didn't grow up idolizing les paul players the way you guys did. i think the fetish with old flametops is a river that's going to dry up with your generation's buying power.

El Fug

By no means am I an expert on investing (I usually sleep in the park, fergawdsake), but this sounds like a very bad idea to me. Why do you need to sell the land? Real estate seems like a pretty good bet over time.

shg

By no means am I an expert on investing (I usually sleep in the park, fergawdsake), but this sounds like a very bad idea to me. Why do you need to sell the land? Real estate seems like a pretty good bet over time.
Real estate is a good bet so long as it's land that someone will want one day.

shane8

once all the baby boomers get old and die, nobody is going to give a **** about vintage les pauls. we didn't grow up idolizing les paul players the way you guys did. i think the fetish with old flametops is a river that's going to dry up with your generation's buying power.
:agree old guitars in general - the vintage prices went thru the roof because of perceived mojo & a lot of snake oil - now custom shops can build something similar (if not better) - i wouldn't be putting $$ into old planks

remember the story about the strad and a new violin?

I'm being serious here. I am selling a large chunk of land and I need to invest for retirement.
The stock market sucks the life out of my IRA. Cd's are paying 1-2%.
I am thinking that a valuable Les Paul would fare better over a 20 year period than gold or stocks.

Experts on vintage Pauls.... convince me I'm right and help me convince the wife.
Have you seen what the stock market has been doing over the last few months??? Sell the land; invest back in the market. Then next year use the proceeds to buy whatever you want. I have enough in dividends this year alone to buy almost any guitar I want. The market has been on a tear!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom