invisible fence for dogs? yeah or neah

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by neastguy, Feb 13, 2015.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I have a little 10 year old dog and an 8 year old dog.. moving to a new house.. they are used to being fenced.. but really don't want to have to buy a fence just for them :( ... my kids are old enough where we trust them outside...

so how hard is it? one of our dogs likes to bark.. does that mean 2 collars? she has a vibrating bark collar that works great now....

thanks

2. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

We've been using them on our dogs for over 10 years. We've even trained older dogs and it.really only takes a couple of days for them to understand. I'm a proponent.

3. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Works great for me. I had serious doubts. But my dogs stop at the line when chasing a squirrel.

But soon this thread will be overrun with, my neighbors dog ran through the fence and got run over by a combine harvester. :facepalm.

4. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

Electrocuting your pets... Maybe for your kids:dunno

We used to live in a neighborhood where the people up the street had it. I rescued their dog from the main highway on multiple occasions during power outages. The dog later got out during a power outage and was never seen again. Build a fence or buy a leash:red

That's not a made up story but the thought of the poster above and a combine harvester is pretty hilarious so don't think I'm on the crazy bandwagon:idea

5. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

6. neastguy

just called my a friend of mine and he said it was the best decision ever to have his put in... he says its all in the way you train your dog... if you are a bad trainer.. you will have bad results

7. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

I agree with that. The people who's dog ended up running out all the time was some $3000 boxer that they had specially bred... Or at least that was their conversation bullet points anytime the dog came up. After they lost that one they ended up giving me their boxer puppy Sophie, who I still have and who turned 11 this past year:red

That combine harvester comment makes me think of Fargo:D:facepalm

8. neastguy

my concern is that my one dog likes to bark... so I don't know if they have a mutli- collar that does both.. I can't see our dog wearing two collars...

9. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I knew you'd be here for us. :rotflmao

I don't see how a power outage would affect the dogs. How would they know? My dogs haven't been shocked since the first week we installed it. It's not like the dogs say, "The powers out, lets go get that harvester". Because dogs don't talk.

10. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I tried one with my beagle. She quickly figured out that she could charge through the field while the collar was beeping its warning and before the mild shock. Needless to say, it did not work for her.

11. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Member

I bought one for my dog and once he was trained or "conditioned", it doesn't matter if the power is on or off. He doesn't get close to the line.

12. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Member

I thought the same thing. How he described it isn't how it works.

13. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

Overall they worked great. There are some dogs that will plow right through them, but those are exceptions. Our neighbor's dog was one, but he was a 100 pound dog brain in a 20 pound dog body.

14. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

Yeah, I could see beagles being an exception to the fence working. Every beagle I've had was a tough dog and an excellent problem solver.

15. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

I would assume the dog ceased to be shocked when it got close so kept going since there was no boundary:dunno

That's clearly how theirs worked since the dog being in the street coincided with a power outage:dunno

This was 10 years ago so perhaps the technology has dramatically changed? Maybe there was some other sort of boundary deterrent I'm thinking of?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  16. fool

fool Uncouth Savage Gold Supporting Member

Some of the collars are receivers that will shock the dog when they don't get the signal from the base station. When the power goes out it's similar to the dog walking out of the zone and they get shocked. For certain e-fences, they recommend putting some kind of UPS on it to avoid that problem.

That said, the e-fence has worked great for us.

17. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Binaca a great cure for a barking dog. Couple of sprays immediately after a barking fit and they stop.

18. JMP99

JMP99 Member

Depends on your dog(s). Our GSDs learned quickly and most of the time don't even wear the collar. I have known other people who had dogs that would get a running start and take the shock knowing that freedom was on the other side.

19. mrotenberry

mrotenberry Member

"Depends on your dog(s)."

Exactly. I had a invisible fence that worked with one, and not even close for the Huskie. There was nothing that could keep her in the yard when her mind was made up. Not even a fence with electric wire at the top. She knew it was only a brief shock till freedom.

20. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Invisible fences don't keep predators/kids/hobos/aliens out.

I've seen even well-trained dogs run through the fence after a squirrel in a fit of excitement, then not come back in because the chase was over and they'd regained their senses.

They don't work during power outages, the batteries die, they shock your dog, etc. Some use odd batteries, too.

They're not for me.