Ion IED05 USB drum set

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bostonwal, Oct 22, 2008.

1. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

Just hooked up the Ion USB drum set. I was looking for a drum set sized version of the M-Audio Trigger Finger so i could do actual drumming using my software drums rather than two fingers at a time without having to pay for a full electronic set. Turns out it's not Midi capable right off the bat. In order to make it midi capable I had to follow the directions here:
    http://www.wibwobweb.com/blog/artic...ed05-usb-drum-kit-with-midi-capable-software/

The instructions are for Cubase. I use Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio though and it did not work. In order to make it work I had to use GlovePie version 0.25 not the most current 0.30. I also had to make some tweaks in the script to get an ideal velocity for a couple of the pads.

So, it works now, but I'm still getting used to the action of the pads. I think some double sided tape will be required for the bass drum pedal. I would say the jury is still out on whether I would recommend this solution for the drummers among us. Might be better to just spend a little more for a used electronic set. We'll see....