iOS App for Tubular Bells?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MattLeFevers, Dec 8, 2016.

1. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

Hey, all,

I use my iPad with a small MIDI keyboard as a live keyboard rig, bouncing between a handful of apps depending on the patch I want (Sunrizer for synths, SampleTank for piano and a few others, GarageBand for organs, etc).

I need a bell sound for an upcoming Christmas Eve gig and was surprised there is nothing like that available to buy in SampleTank. (Think, like, a big ringing tubular bell or church bell.) Back when I was using my laptop I could open up Reason's Combinator or NNXT and do a good tubular bell from there but I don't really have a working laptop at the moment, just the iPad.

Is there another iOS app that can do a bell sound?

2. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

MattLeFevers likes this.
  3. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

Nice. You wouldn't happen to know if this works with MIDI, would you? It looks like it's geared for non musicians (the picture of the interface is of clicking on buttons that say A, B, etc instead of a playable keyboard) so I'm not sure what to expect...

4. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

MattLeFevers likes this.
  5. tshall

tshall Member

You might check SampleTank to see if they have that instrument. I've used them live before for brass and sax parts running midi from a controller keyboard through my iPad or phone with the USB connnector kit and it's worked ok.

6. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

Yeah, I like Sampletank. I don't think they have any bells though which is a surprise, considering how many instruments are available...

7. tshall

tshall Member

Fair enough - I didn't look before posting. If there were an app with good samples called Totally Tubular, that would restore some of my faith in humanity.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  8. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

If anyone comes across this thread in the future:

It's true what I said about Sampletank not having a tubular bells patch you can buy, but there is a really good one buried inside of their Miroslav Philharmonik 2 upgrade. The whole Miroslav 2 package is like fifty dollars but you can get just the Chromatic Instruments set for $16 so I sprung for that and used those tubular bells for the gig.

It also includes a glockenspiel, which is something I've also searched for in the past, so that's cool.

It's weird that the Miroslav instruments don't show up as options in Sampletank's menu of instruments but there's a lot of really good sounding stuff there if you know where to look.