1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

iOS guitar rig??

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by eicca, Dec 29, 2017.

1. eicca

eicca Member

I've been going back and forth between a full-analog guitar rig (with only one tone) or a Mooer GE200 (with all my custom IRs) but I caught wind of the possibility of running IRs and effects on iOS.

I use a Rockman Sustainor 200 for my primary tone, and apply EQ and chorus and stuff after the fact. What I'm envisioning is running the Rockman into iOS and applying the EQ/IR and effects there, then piping that to the mixer.

Is iOS stable enough for gigging use? What apps do you recommend for effects? (No power amp/cab simulation needed).

Also, what interface would you recommend? I'd like to have an effects loop in case I want to add something outside of iOS, so I'm envisioning a small mixer panel for routing and a very basic in/out for iOS.

2. LewisYL

LewisYL Member

From using my iPad for bits and pieces before the best advice I can give is to turn off automatic updates for all apps. Most updates supposedly fix bugs but seem to bring more with them and you never know when one might spell trouble for you. Get everything set up as you want to use it, thoroughly test it at home and in practice then only update critical apps and IOS when you have some gig free time.

As for a loop you could use a multi channel audio interface and some complex routing on the iPad but you will then most likely run in to latency problems. I would either run stuff before or after and use a DI box if necessary.

For apps I used ToneStack just for effects because the midi control was pretty good, the AuFX (I think they’re called) apps are quite good also. For irs I used Fiddlicator because it has a good eq section along with some basic delay and reverb.

mbenigni and Elantric like this.
  3. eicca

eicca Member

How was the latency with Fiddlicator? That’s my biggest concern.

4. LewisYL

LewisYL Member

Didn’t notice any but I was using it with iems. There’s a certain amount of latency that matches a distance from the speaker, so using it with in ears might of sounded like i was just a little away from my amp? Was never a problem for me in any case.

5. eicca

eicca Member

Hmm ok. I plan on using it in a direct to the board sort of way so hopefully it’s not an issue.

6. The Holy Drinker

The Holy Drinker Member

Bias FX has a nice effects section. I like most of the modulation effects and some of the delays and reverbs. You can use them without any amp or cab. People also like the Audio Damage and FAC effects. FAC just released a limiter/exciter/compressor type of thing and FAC chorus is especially good, imo.

7. eicca

eicca Member

I just realized this morning... I already have Mainstage. If I'm going to try and set up an iPad rig, I might as well grab a used MacBook for about the same price and go full Mainstage.

8. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Or a macmini with a small touch screen in a flightcase.

9. eicca

eicca Member

Ooh damn good idea. Do you have a recommendation where to start looking for touchscreens? I'm clueless in that area.

10. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Friend keyboard player has a set up, ill ask him, although his set up goes a couple of years back.

What I can tell now:
    - mac mini running mainstage
    - small screen velcrod in the case, which is taken out when needed used.
    - soundcard
    - 8 channel di (8 is overkill for guitar, but he decided to bring his own cause of the crappy ones soundguys now and then come up with)
    - all in a softcase

Hes running it for more then 3 years now as a touring pro, never had an issue. I believe he keeps the setup offline to prevent troubles cause of updates etc.

11. eicca

eicca Member

I wonder how high of a sampling rate the average Mac Mini can handle. A cheap Behringer audio interface does all the way up to 192k.

12. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

For a guitar signal it is pointless to go that high the sample rate is not buying you anything and is harder on the CPU, IMHO. I don't go above 48KHz on my i7 MBPro since the AxeFxII runs at that rate so I run the entire setup there.

Scrapperz likes this.
  13. eicca

eicca Member

Personally I can hear a significant difference at 96k so I’d like to get at least that high.

14. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

In the A/D conversion of a guitar signal that starts to roll off above 6k? You must be a poodle. LOL.:rolleyes:

15. eicca

eicca Member

It’s a Rockman Sustainor. It’s got stuff happening all the way up into 16k. Granted it doesn’t sound that great up high but it all combines to make the details.

16. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

ios rig can be fine for gigging. I never really cared for the cheapo ios interfaces until Apple opened ios to regular USB interfaces via camera connection adapter. Not really sure when that happened, never heard the announcement, I just tried it on a whim about 6 months ago and was pleasantly surprised. I use a Tascam US2x2 and it works great, has been stable and reliable.

I use Bias amp and Bias FX. I prefer my full computer software rig with plugins I like better, but for ios Bias is great.

17. cardinal

cardinal Member

So for a practice rig, I use BIAS with an iPhone and an Apogee One, plugged into a Matrix q12a. It sounds nice but every once in a while it just doesn’t work and I have to futz with it to get sound.

It well could be user error or something other than the iOS and BIAS, but I personally would be very nervous to gig with it.