• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

iPad Air 2 or Surface 3 for recording?

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
Looking at the iPad Air 2 or the Surface 3. Surface 3 seems like a better deal considering I'll get more storage space for the money--well without the keyboard and pen which I intend on purchasing.

It's like this:
- iPad Air 2 32 GB $599
- Surface 3 64 GB $499 + $100 for the keyboard.

I'm iffy on being able to do sketchbook recordings with the atom processor in the Surface 3. Just curious if anyone else is using either the iPad or Surface 3 for scratch tracks and things like that.

claudel

Silver Supporting Member
iPad runs Auria...

Auria is really nice and about to become much nicer...

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
iPad runs Auria...

Auria is really nice and about to become much nicer...
Does the iPad handle multi-channel recording with very low latency? THat's one of the things I hate about my PC DAW, seems like I'm always fighting latency. Even with decent ram and everything I struggle below 10ms. I'm a PC guy. I had a mac for audio recording and though I used to have a mac and recorded with it, it always seemed like the mac interface I had at the time was a giant bundle of noise--presonus firebox--I never had the latency problems like I do with my PC.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
Does the iPad handle multi-channel recording with very low latency?
How many do you want to record at the same time?
Two? Yes, easily.

Latency? Not if you can an iPad Air2.

THat's one of the things I hate about my PC DAW, seems like I'm always fighting latency. Even with decent ram and everything I struggle below 10ms.
Did you set it up correctly? Optimize Windows by turning off all non-essential processes? Are you recording to an external HD?
Do you religiously update your system and drivers?
If you haven't done any of those then you need to start there.

I had a mac for audio recording and though I used to have a mac and recorded with it, it always seemed like the mac interface I had at the time was a giant bundle of noise--presonus firebox--I never had the latency problems like I do with my PC.
I have a Firebox. I used it with my PC and then my Macbook Pro 5-8 years ago.
Never had an issue with noise but tt was a cheap box that never sounded great.
Poor A/D-D/A converters.
I wouldn't use it now though as there are better units on the market.

Good luck.

claudel

Silver Supporting Member
Does the iPad handle multi-channel recording with very low latency? THat's one of the things I hate about my PC DAW, seems like I'm always fighting latency. Even with decent ram and everything I struggle below 10ms. I'm a PC guy. I had a mac for audio recording and though I used to have a mac and recorded with it, it always seemed like the mac interface I had at the time was a giant bundle of noise--presonus firebox--I never had the latency problems like I do with my PC.

Depends on which iPad and how many channels and which DAW...

Auria can monitor the input ( pre-processing ) with no perceptible latency...

http://auriaapp.com/forum/index.php

Author is generally available and stays on top of things.

Getting close to a major update so he's pretty busy.

I'm waiting for the rumored A9 iPad for just a bit more horsepower.

I can still overload my Air2 with plugins ( pretty nice ones available via Auria IAP )

I haven't done it with just tracks though. I rarely use more than two at a time but
I'm just getting started with it...

I just upgraded my interface too, iConnectAudio4+ is pretty nice.

Quick, quiet, lots of features...

I tend to use BiasFX for guitar and Auria +plugins for bass.

More for quiet practice than recording for me, although I guess I could always hit the red button when I start.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Looking at the iPad Air 2 or the Surface 3. Surface 3 seems like a better deal considering I'll get more storage space for the money--well without the keyboard and pen which I intend on purchasing.

It's like this:
- iPad Air 2 32 GB $599
- Surface 3 64 GB $499 + $100 for the keyboard.

I'm iffy on being able to do sketchbook recordings with the atom processor in the Surface 3. Just curious if anyone else is using either the iPad or Surface 3 for scratch tracks and things like that.
I'm wondering the same thing. I switched to Mac in 2004 after struggling with PC recording software (latency, drivers, etc...seemed like a never ending troubleshooting exercise). I've used several iMacs since 2004 and GarageBand. I realize it's 11 years later and PC software may have improved, but wondering if the Surface has the right connectivity and horsepower. I don't want to deal with latency again, haven't had that problem since 2004 when I switched to Mac.

I've gotten very used to my iPad but my iPad is fading fast, time for something new (has gotten tediously slow). It's an early one. The Surface has appeal, as the OP points out. It's usable as a tablet and a PC when required.

Are any of you using a surface or surface pro? I'm a casual user of recording software, use it for ideas, creation of backing tracks, simple compositions...GarageBand generally met my needs. Just wondering what others experiences are...?

fisticuffs

The Surface 3 may run full windows now but that Intel Atom isn't going to do much for you for recording with a full OS bogging it down. iPad.

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
I ended up getting an Air2. A couple of reasons why it won the fight. First, I got it subsidized through my carrier for a no interest payment plan. Second, the Surface 3 is just an atom processor. I had a surface rt and liked it a lot until I realized that there were things I was missing--I.e. APPS!!! The Surface 3 is a universal windows device, but lets face it the touchscreen is useless for most regular windows apps anyway. I went ahead and got the biggest iPad Air 2 in slate gray. Now I have to figure out what interface I want.

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
How many do you want to record at the same time?
Two? Yes, easily.

Latency? Not if you can an iPad Air2.

Did you set it up correctly? Optimize Windows by turning off all non-essential processes? Are you recording to an external HD?
Do you religiously update your system and drivers?
If you haven't done any of those then you need to start there.

I have a Firebox. I used it with my PC and then my Macbook Pro 5-8 years ago.
Never had an issue with noise but tt was a cheap box that never sounded great.
Poor A/D-D/A converters.
I wouldn't use it now though as there are better units on the market.

Good luck.
I'm a system administrator by day. I've stripped down my windows installation to the bare essential for audio recording. My machine is an i7 with 16 GB of ram and I'm not doing any fancy plugin work--just raw tracks in and sometimes EZ Drummer 2. If I want to do 24bit by 96k it will work reasonably well over 10ms but I still struggle to break that 10ms barrier. 16bit audio is not an issue. Cubase is my sequencer and I have the little 2 channel interface that yamaha made for them. It sounds awesome--really shocked at the convertors and preamps on that box. I can mix with this PC fairly easily so the iPad will get used for tracking live guitar pretty much. Do all my scratch work in cubase and bump that down to Auria or garage band and then go from there...

Trending Topics