iPad gurus -what are my options to do this?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by 62Tele, Feb 10, 2012.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I'll probably pick up an iPad 3 when they come out in the next couple of months. What would really be the icing on the cake would be to have it set up as a practice rig that would;

- Have decent amp emulation and maybe a few effects (at least just a little reverb)
    - Be able to play backing tracks or stuff out of my iTunes library at the same time
    - Require minimal outboard hardware aside from something like the Apogee Jam and a pair of headphones.

I think all of this is pretty close if not already available, but what is the best way to make an iPad do all of this as of today?

2. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

The ampkit app is the best in my opinion. I like the apogee jam as an interface.

3. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

I am using Line6 mobile in with both their free app and the peavey amp kit. Have not tried it with garage band yet. I have heard very good things on the apogee but I wanted the most portable solution. So far I can't complain.

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

What kind of tones are you guys after? I think it's a very different discussion between a Twin Reverb with verb and trem vs. a shred sound. Personally, I'm after more classic Fender tones with mild to moderate gain.

5. ddevil

ddevil Member

Both Amplitube and Peaveys Ampkit have free versions....Ampkits sounds are better in my opinion. And no they arent all high gain sounds...The Peavy Classic 30 sound is close to my real amp..

As for hooking in...use a 30 pin connection..most that go thru the headphone jack are bad...

...as with anything...YMMV

6. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Get an Apogee Jam as your input hardware, then look at Garageband, AmpKit or JamUp as your software...

7. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Garageband has reasonable amp emulation? Didn't realize, thought it was primarily recording software.

8. webe123

webe123 Member

I am getting an ipod 3 valso, but NOT for that reason, as I have an axe fx to do all the sounds I need on my electric guitar. I am going to use it for scrolling sheet music with a pedal to scroll up and down .

They have an app for this on my friends ipad 2 , but I cannot remember what it is called. But i am going to hold out for a 16 GB ipod 3 and use it for sheet music. I am also getting the pedal to scroll up and down and a holder that goes on a mic stand.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPa...oice-of-Color-and-Optional-Accessory/17209450 (Except mine will be an ipad 3)

And then the pedal:

http://airturninc989.corecommerce.c...with-2-ATFS-2-Pedals-and-Pedal-Board-p82.html

And finally the holder to put on a mic stand:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item...0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

All together it would be $657.94 if I got an ipad 2. It may be a littl;e more for an I pad 3 that is 16 GB but not much more. Those ipads are very handy devices.

9. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

I recently got the iPad 2, love it!

Check Sams Club, looks like they shave about $10 or so off the price of an iPad.

I use "My Music Stand" for sheet music, it's pretty good, one touch to turn pages, lets you add sticky notes.

if you play live, there is "Set list Maker" set up your song order, add notes, even attache a recording of the song, very nice program, so much better than the paper on the floor.

If you record, there is "Meteor Multitrack Recorder" I'm still waiting to get this one, It's $19.99.
    Lets you add effects in real time before you record, and you can work with videos within the software.

From the info it looks as good as it gets for tablet based recording, of course, one of the mics for the iPad would be nice too.

Also looking at the mic stand holder you mentioned, and it looks as though American Musical has Guitar Center beat on price, $39.00 at AM vs $49.00 at GC

Some of the intruments available are really good also, I have Morphwiz, very good sounds.

10. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

I would suggest the Line 6 Mobile In. It works with all of the modeling apps and also works with the POD modeling app which is free and might even be the best amp and effects modeling app out there.

When you get to the point that you want to record, I would suggest the Apogee One. It's awesome and easy in terms of an interface and it has a fantastic built in mic.

As far as your sheet music or chord/tab charts, I suggest Songbook, Songsterr, Unrealbook, or OnSong. They are all terrific.

11. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

Do yourself a favor & check out Bandm8. Believe me, I've tried them all It is hands down the best set list manager in the App Store.

12. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I spoke to Apogee customer service the other day and was left with the impression that the "One" was aimed at the Mac Book level, and the MiC was the unit for the iPad.

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

A highly recommended app is one called Midi 3.0

It's one of the only ones where you can download a tune, re-mix
    & totally eliminate tracks as long as it's in a Midi format ...

Import an MP3 and do what you wish with it ...
    Move regions around (Intro, Verse, Chorus, etc.) make longer shorter, etc....
    then record your own stuff over the top of it ... very cool.

It's limited to re-doing songs you already have (your own or who evers) instead of starting from scratch...
    but that's cool

14. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

This. Heck, I first ran AmpKit on my iPhone 4 and it was awesome! I'm really, really impressed. The sound quality through he Jam is quite good. Great for knocking through tunes.

You can even reamp!