1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

ipad vs. Adrenalinn?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by kiki_90291, May 22, 2011.

1. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Pros, cons? Sim quality? Do ipad apps integrate well? (i.e., does midi allow good syncing between say a drum machine and Amplitube?) Anyone actually compare the two?

How do each take additional pedals?

2. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

3. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

I've asked about the Adrenalinn before and got a similar number of responses.

4. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

What are you even asking? The ipad is a tablet computer while the Adrenalinn a multifx processor. They're not competing products by any stretch of the imagination. To get an iPad to do what the Adrenalinn does natively would be way expensive by comparison (if possible). I reviewed the Adrenalinn III and really dug a bunch about it. A very overlooked device capable of some great effects (and some good amp modeling as well).

Direct links to My Adrenallinn clips:

AD III Heavy
    AD III pop rock

5. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

...not so many users here, a few months ago it was a bit of movement around the iPad here, but then most of the people concluded that was more a nice toy then else. I don't have (and don't need) one so I cannot comment in that regard...

6. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I'm not sure why you don't think they are competitive products - I think the iPad is going to find a place as a hardware platform for exactly the kinds of applications built into the Adrenalinn - you already have amp modelers/fx units for the ipad. With the new core midi implementation, I think you will start to see much more time based/sequencing integration. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see people like Roger Linn port their code over to the iPad.

In any event, my question was directed to the quality of the amp modeling in the Adrenalinn vs. the apps available for the ipad.

7. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Because the iPad is a computer with a touch screen interface for $499 (with no modeling or foot controller, and something tells me the Ik's $19 iRig App isn't going to be on par with the $359 Amplitube, not sure what else is available I'm a Windows/Android user) while the Adrenalinn is a unit with a dedicated embedded system and foot controlled interface with built in functionality for $399. They don't share the same functional feature set nor a similar price point. If you start looking generally at the Adrenalinn as compared with software based modeling IMHO you'll get way, way more tweakability and customizable options on a software based system at the expense of the lower latency and rock solid stability of dedicated devices. But when it comes to tones everything is still subjective...

8. jdolll

jdolll Supporting Member

These two are not even close to competitive products. The iPad apps are great tools but in no way will development in at least the near future come to the point of being serious and usable competitors to any multi-effects processor. Guys like Roger linn are unlikely to port to the iPad because the coding languages are completely different platforms. Knowing how to program and create a standalone platform in no way gives you the ability to port to a device like the iPad.

9. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

Roger Linn does have a software version of adrenalinn called Adrenalinnsync.
    His mac beta was out before windows, and Roger does appear to be a mac guy so I wouldn't count it out.

I do agree that comparing Adrenalinnto ipad is like comparing apples to pork chops.

10. tracyreed

tracyreed Member

iPad apps that integrate with PC:CS5.I think it is not possible midi allow good syncing between say a drum machine and Amplitube.

11. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Why do you think so? Is MIDI just too imprecise or is the core midi implementation flawed in some way?