iPad whiteboard app?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Beakertwang, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

Wonder if anyone has experience with using an iPad as a "whiteboard" for meetings, classroom, etc. In this case, it would be used in a church setting, and sent to a projector. Could we connect via an Apple TV interface (or similar)? That would be our preference. Or is there an iPad output to HDMI cable?

Thanks!

2. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Depends on your board and computer set up but splash top and reflector are what I use in class.

3. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I had surgery for throat cancer and was unable to talk for awhile. I used a Whiteboard app to jot down my needs. I thought it was great. The kids, not so much. ; )

4. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

If you simply want to project your iPad you could use any number of drawing or notes apps. For true collaborative whiteboards there are a lot of other products. Many will allow iPad input but this is going to be a function of the board and or added hardware. Check out Smart KAPP, eBeam, Hitachi....

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

If you just want to mirror whatever is on your iPad, Apple TV is designed exactly for this purpose. $99 and works perfectly. Just need to have wifi in the building and a Projo with HDMI in.

6. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Yes - Apple TV is the cleanest solution - I've used it a lot of times.

Just set up your Apple TV, connect it to the big screen, then you can turn on 'Mirroring' on your iPad/iPhone and anything you do on your iPad will be shown on the TV. You can demo an app, have multiple viewers watch you play a game, use a sketching app to draw so the TV acts as a whiteboard... etc.

Note: To turn on Mirroring, swipe UP from the bottom of your device screen, tap on 'Airplay', choose the Apple TV as the destination, and turn on the switch that says 'Mirroring'.

7. Beakertwang

Apple TV works on wifi, not bluetooth?

8. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Correct. A bluetooth connection WOULD be really nice, but at the moment, works on Wifi.

9. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Check out The app Evernote, it has quite a few functions similar to what you are asking for.

10. Beakertwang

That would be an issue then. We rent a ballroom in an apartment building. Wi-Fi is not reliable.

11. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Could you bring along an Apple Airport? You don't need an internet connected WiFi device, any Wifi router that the AppleTV and your iOS device will connect to locally will work.

12. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

13. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

My company does AV Staging and Production. Some of our clients present
    from their iPads. The Apple TV idea works - but not in a production environment
    since we use video switching - although we do have HDMI inputs - that's not our preferred method.

We usually run out the iPad using a Thunderbolt to SXGA Adapter - we use the
    one in the picture because it also allows the iPad to charge. We homerun that
    from the podium to the switcher and then to the projection. There are boatloads
    of apps that will allow you to white board - Keynote has a draw function so you
    can write/draw over the top of the slide - We haven't used PowerPoint on an iPad
    yet. Also you are not limited to the iPad - you can also use an iPhone - but obviously
    even with the biggest 6 Plus the screen real estate is less than an iPad. If you have a older V2 iPad
    you can get the 32pin equivalent adapter (no charging though) and use it in the same
    exact manner.

[​IMG]

14. Beakertwang

I see our problem being that we have a PC that we run regular overheads on--videos, announcements, song lyrics, Bible verses, etc. That computer is linked to our projector via VGA, so going from the computer feed, to the iPad (or maybe an Android would be better?), and back without hitch, might be the problem, especially since our setup is somewhat mobile/temporary.

15. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Actually you just need the VGA Adapter - a VGA Switcher - like this Extron. And of
    course the second VGA Cable.

Signal Chain - Laptop into A, iPad into B - Output to Projector in the output on the switch.

The down side of this is that you will get a 'hard switch'. IOW's the switch will go from the laptop
    to the iPad and take a second to sync. While it's taking the time the screen will be black.