iphone 3/ iphone 4.....are they still usable?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by buddyboy69, Dec 1, 2014.

1. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

long story short. i have an 8 year old autistic son whose only real interest are tablets and smart phones. basically when given free reign at toys r us he walks out with candy, zero interest in toys. at the moment he has a larger ipad and a last years ipad mini. he also holds our motorolla xoom hostage when setting up his "control central". lately he has been grabbing strangers phones and gets upset when he cant keep his aunts.

so im looking for an old model iphone for him for xmas. phone part is not needed just ability to use apps and music. are the old 3 and 4 versions still usable? before anyone puts up a link to "let me google that fer ya", i already have. im just not sure as i have never had one and know zero about them. are the old os syatems about to be out of date? i just want to put up to date apps on it. and theres more experts here than anywhere i know. thanks.
    john

2. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

i just got an iPhone 4 new from my provider

they are still around and supported by Apple

3. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Member

My wife is still using her 3, and I have a spare 4 I used until last month as my primary phone. I now use the 4 on stage to play loops and to do some dictation (recording of meetings, etc.) Both are version locked on the OS, meaning they won't receive any additional OS updates (outside of serious security patches, maybe).

As such, apps continue to improve and the phones become less capable of using them, either due to resources required, or due to OS version support. There are still plenty of uses for them, including some apps and music, but I have noticed that the 3 is increasingly difficult to use apps on. Both the OS bloat and app bloat has diminished the devices ability to cope. But my 7 year old still likes it for music...

4. jhc

jhc Senior Member

I don't know where you could still find a 3 or 4 anymore. Ever since the iPhone 6 came out, the iPhone 5 is the oldest model still sold by Apple. I have a iPhone 4 and I wish I didn't. Very little memory available.

But more importantly, I don't understand why you want a phone without phone capabilities. Don't you already have that with the two iPads he has? I mean, you could get a $200 iPod touch (which is what you're describing) but what does that give you that you don't already have.

If he really wants something phone sized as opposed to his iPads, I'd look into a used iPod touch.

5. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Hello from my iPhone 4s.

-bEn r.

6. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

It's important to note that every app has either been made for the faster iPhones or updated for the faster iPhones. That means even a classic game like Angry Birds isn't going to run as well on a 3 or 4 as it did in previous years. That being said, sure, you can still use 'em (assuming the battery isn't worn out). They're just not as fast or smooth as they used to be. If he already has iPads and just wants another screen for his "control central," go for it.

7. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Typing this on my 4s as well. But yeah, why not an iPod touch?

8. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

yep

9. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

You DO know that the iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the phone, right? Still sold by Apple at this point, even has a retina screen and is really thin and small.

10. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

I'm replying to this with an I Phone 4. I don't have any problems using any apps I've tried. I would guess you might be able to pick up a 4 cheaper than an I Pod touch, but it would be worth checking out.

11. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

My son still has an iPhone 3, and my wife still has and loves her iPhone 4S.

My father in law STILL uses his ancient iPhone2 !!! It still ticks along, if a bit slow...

12. a1briz

a1briz Silver Supporting Member

As has been said, an iPod touch is what you want rather than an iPhone, an iPhone without phone calls or cell carrier account. Also much less expensive than an iPhone. Once you put a case on it, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

As for the iPhone itself, I have an iphone 4 that is pretty much at the end of its life cycle. Can't download the latest OS version on it cause it's not supported and most new apps require the latest OS. Point is, can't really use the latest apps on it. I'm going to be upgrading in the next month or so.

Back to the iPod, get the latest version you can afford as it will be useful for longer.

13. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    iPhone 2? Now that is old!!! ��

14. a1briz

a1briz Silver Supporting Member

Just to repeat, you don't need an iphone, you need an iPod Touch.

Whatever you do, do NOT get an iphone below an iphone 5. Anything below is outdated and wont allow the latest OS and therefore you can't have the latest apps. Can you still use an iPhone 4 or 3 or 2 to make calls and check emails, sure, albeit really slow. But you can't use them for latest apps, and not for the apps your son would use.

I have an iPhone 4. Its life cycle ended earlier this year. Will be upgading next few weeks.

15. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

thanks all. im looking into an ipad touch, i have no clue, i use a tracfone and a xoom. yes its all about the size for him, and running multiple apps on every tablet he can find. its kinda funny to watch. the other issue is if my 7 year old daughter sees he has another device she is going to freak out, so i have to get 2. $$$$$$$.

16. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Yeah - he uses it pretty much as JUST a phone, no other 3rd party apps etc., and it seems to just work for him for just calls and texting.

Funny though, he came around the other day because he had trouble adding someone into the address book so I gave him a hand. I was surprised at how SLOW the old iPhone was, with simple things like screen transitions and opening the address book app etc.

I read somewhere that the current generation iPhones are over 100x faster than the original iPhone. Amazing increase in computational power in such a small form factor, and over a relatively short timespan.

17. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

iphone without the "phone part" is called an iPod Touch...just get one of those

18. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

If we are getting specific - there never was an IPhone2.

We went from the first one that only ran on edge/GPRS to the iPhone 3G. Then the 3GS, etc.

But to the OP - an iPod touch is clearly your answer.

19. janosfia

janosfia Member

I'm still running a second gen iPod touch. Wife asked me if I want the latest version, but honestly, this one still works perfectly fine.
    [​IMG]

20. starjag

starjag Member

My wife and I still use the 4 model. Our kids have the 4S.