Ipod and High Capacity MP3

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by fenderbender4, May 1, 2015.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

So, I know Apple has long discontinued the Classic (160GB) Ipod. I was wondering what other people have gone to using as a substitute?

Any high capacity/storage space music players sync with the Itunes program? All my music is loaded in through Itunes.

Does the iCloud/Itunes (Match) option work pretty well?

Thanks.

2. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Right now the only options are a 64 gig Touch or 128 gig iPhone 6.

I'm glad I still have my 160 gig classic!!!

3. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

You have alternatives.

Firstly, you can always find those on eBay. If you have Apple tattooed on your body, you can still pray at the Apple altar using that route.

If you're OK with exploring outside of Apple, there are other brands that make high-capacity players. Sound quality-wise, my personal favorite (by a country mile) is Cowon. The downside is the interface isn't the greatest. If you can live with that, it's great stuff. But considering how great Apple's interface is, that's a step down that you'll have to consider before making the jump.

Aside from that, Archos is another player you can look into although reliability-wise, it's never been a star. It's a chance you can take.

Another outside-of-the-box option is buy a cheap phone with an expandable SD card slot.

There are more choices out there if you do some exploring through Google.

4. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

I bought a used on on eBay. I like having all my music available in my car without having to depend on the cloud.

5. skillet

skillet Member

Another option is to have whatever app is copying the files to your MP3 player to automatically down sample them to a smaller bit-rate, like 128-bit. It saves a lot of disc space and allows you to cram a lot of music on a device (I do this with my old iPod Shuffle 1 Gig for listening to music at the gym; whereas, in iTunes, most of my music is sampled at 256 or 320 bit rates). If you're just using this MP3 player in your vehicle or via small headphones (gym, jogging, whatever), 128-bit is more than enough quality for that type of listening.

6. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I searched so I have an idea of what's out there. Mostly wondering about the actual "user experience" in terms of how people like the various solutions. The cowon seems cool, but have no idea of how the interface, etc. works out for people. I know the current batch of Ipods/Iphones are meant to be multimedia hand-held malls, where you can find and do lots of different things, but I like having the isolated music player. Plus it keeps me from being tempted to multi-task (i.e. fail-task).

7. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Well,... it's been a looooong time since I used most of the other players and to be frank, a lot of them are yesteryear's players.

Cowons have been my favorite for years because of their sound quality. I'm OK with taking a hit in other areas if it means that my ears will be satisfied in the end. For a portable solution, I haven't heard them be beat, yet.

As far as the interface is concerned, it can be described as occasionally clumsy. I personally prefer Apple's by far, but what can you do? The odd bug might present itself. If they'd work on the UI and interface a bit more, they'd have a killer product, but they're more concerned about hardware than software.

It's one of those brands that isn't readily available in big chains, but maybe there's an online retailer that carries them which might have a good return policy, in case you don't bond with it. I know most people have a short fuse when it comes to interfaces. They'll make compromises in that regard and sacrifice audio quality for a smoother experience. I'm the complete opposite.

Check out their latest ; http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUE1/product_page_4.php

8. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

A $950 MP3 player? Seriously?!

9. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I've found that I rarely want to listen to varying ends of my musical collection at the drop of a hat and have been very satisfied with a 32g iPod Touch. I just load the stuff I listen to most on it and rotate around whatever I seem to be in the mood for lately. Yeah, every once in awhile I'd like to listen to something that isn't on there but it happens far more rarely than I thought it would.

10. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

There are other players created by Cowon that cost FAR less money.

I was only linking to the latest and greatest.

11. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

There is no replacement. I'm still bummed that the Classic is gone and should really hunt down a used one soon. The next best thing is to rely on an SD card and a phone, I think. All the other iPods are touch-screen in some form (besides the Shuffle), and I loathe the touch-screen.