IR Properties

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jay Mitchell, May 17, 2019.

1. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I've already tried it with his sample.

2. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Post it up.

3. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Prolly not at 35KHz though. Of course I could be wrong. Prolly not.

I'm just joshin', knew what you meant ;)

JiveTurkey likes this.
  4. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

5. JiveTurkey

I thought for a second it was Punk'd: EQ edition :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  6. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

I have to ask why, in an attempt to create a closer match, you still have midrange and treble set lower for the IR that is still too dark. Also, something you changed added a bass boominess to my IR that wasn't there in the first clip. What does "resonance" do, and why do you have it set differently for the two IRs?

I have no idea how the Boss tonestack behaves. If it's at all like a Marshall tonestack, the "mid" control affects upper more than lower mids. If that is the case, you'll get a lot closer by increasing both treble and mid controls. They won't be a tonal match, and that's a Good Thing. The Boss cab doesn't sound much like a Marshall cab to me, whereas the IR does when I use it.

I'd try turning up treble and midrange for starters.

djd100 likes this.
  7. the swede

the swede Member

@Jay Mitchell

Any chance there will be any officially available IRs to buy?

8. JiveTurkey

Posting from my phone and heading out the door so not an extensive reply.

Boss resonance control description:
    "Adjusts the amount by which dynamics is affected by the interaction between the power amp and the speaker transformer."

Amp in question is definitely not Plexi based. So there's that. I pulled mids back because it was sounding very honky by comparison. Pulled back treble to what I might erroneously assume is a more neutral setting.

When I do the clip with Native; I'll try a Plexi model instead of something so face melting on the gain end.

9. Fresiki

Fresiki Member

I have a question. Maybe the answer is in here but I haven't caught it.

I understand that near field IRs in their current shape cause a lot of low end. I get that this is caused by a number of phenomena like how high frequency sound waves dissipate faster than low frequency sound waves, how people generally don't have large, open halls laying around so are forced to use smaller spaces, that a lot of materials reflect low frequency sounds better than high frequency sounds, and probably 30 other factors I'm ignorant to. I'm trying to wrap my head around things, one little detail at a time.

Why do I have to do both a low, and a high cut when playing modelers through IRs? At this point it's one of the first thing anyone'll get told in FB and forum groups when they aks like "Just got a Helix/Axe/Kemper - what do I need to know before I plug it in?" Using your reflection free IR, like you had pointed out earlier, I didn't really have to do anything to make a Fender amp model sound awesome through it. So what is causing that added high frequency content in commercial IRs? I was about to delete my post as towards the end here I felt like mentioning I'm playing through an FRFR speaker and for a second I thought I was answering my own question, but so it was through that speaker that your IR still sounded great without much processing, so yeah, what's going on there with the high end in IRs?

patriciogac likes this.
  10. Yek

Yek Member

11. Chocol8

Chocol8 Member

Does anyone have a copy of either the preset or the cab file?

It looks like Jay deleted it off the Google drive when Atomic updated the firmware to 4.0 so it never migrated to the Atomic forum.

12. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

Read post #691.

13. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

The gain is not making the IR sound dark. Distortion products have the exact opposite effect.

14. Fresiki

Fresiki Member

Yes, yes, that too :p But as I gathered it, even IRs that account for the proximity effect have added low end due to reflections. Maybe I am using the term "near field" improperly and those are no longer considered "near field", but say, roon mic at 10" distance? Whichever field that is also has added low end associated with it in the current state. Open back cabs have added bass output due to reflections, regardless of near field or not, as long as it is not far field.

15. ilyslue2

ilyslue2 Member

I want to give a demo of the IR "C" compared to a cabinet in Torpedo C.A.B. Can you guess which is which?...

The signal chain, and settings where identical. Only difference is viritual cabs. Its in fact one take, i changed the preset mid song.

BTW I learned a lot from this IR...for one the mindboggling fact that it isnt just me: Most commercial IRs are rubbish for live use. They must be the best scam in guitar gear since brass nuts. The positive part is that the Torpedo cabs can be tweaked fairly similar to this type of IR in frequency response by placing the mike further away

BINGEWOOD and Chocol8 like this.
  16. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Whatever the first one your playing i liked better

17. burningyen

burningyen Member

You absolutely should! I’ve been beating this drum for years now, and hope this is a sign that movement may finally happen. No need to do it in Japan, just ship the cabs to Jay and let him do his thing!

18. Chocol8

Chocol8 Member

My eyes aren’t what they used to be! I have an eye appointment next week, will comply with the fine print shortly.

19. ba_hill

ba_hill Supporting Member

Here are some 4x12 IR clips. I used a 50W Marshall Plexi reissue into a Suhr Reactive Load. I didn't do any processing on the clips except level matching. The JM412 clip is the reflection free IR Jay has made available. The other 2 are Celestion and RedWirez IRs. To me, Jay's IR sounds more balanced where the other 2, particularly the Celestion IR, sound scooped. That scoop is the reason I'd need high and low cut EQ if were to use them. I'd use Jay's IR without any additional EQ and, especially at gig volume, I think it would be perfectly balanced. This one reminds me a bit of MBritt's Kemper profiles. Some people say they're dark but I find them nearly perfect live and easy to EQ when recording if I want a little more sizzle.

You can download the clips as 24bit/48kHz WAV files if you like.

Thanks, Jay, for the IRs and for this thread!

20. timowens316

timowens316 Member

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Cool Hand Luke and Jay Mitchell like this.