Ireland recommendations

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Doodad, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Doodad

Doodad Member

We are going to be back in Ireland staying in Roundstone. We will do an overnight to Cong and Ashford Castle and touring the coast. I need to fill one day and thought I would ask on here about any suggestions. We are active and will have a vehicle. Something out of the ordinary would be great.

2. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

Ireland and Scotland. My dream.

3. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Go to Cork and Kiss the famous Blarney Stone should be on that list of things to do.

4. shane88

shane88 Member

1/ visit bono

2/ kiss the blarney

5. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

Have you ever driven in the UK/Ireland? I was there a couple of years ago. It was the first time I'd ever been there, and I overestimated how much driving I could do in a day (being on the "wrong" side of the road and car was a serious mind f--k).

6. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

7. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

In my experience there, stop at random ruins, random pubs, and just stop in places that are not touristy.

8. rsm

rsm Member

Find a pub. Be friendly. Stay until closing.

You're welcome.

Edit: Srsly. My last trip to Scotland I did just that. I had the best time mingling with the locals. not tourists.

9. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Be prepared to pay out the butt to eat at Ashford. Probably the most expensive meal I've ever eaten. It was 'good' but not spectacular.

Oh, and don't ask for a Black & Tan at any pub [like my bro-in-law did]. YIKES :eeks

10. war-knuckles

war-knuckles Supporting Member

absolutely dont bother with the blarney stone or anything else similar.

get lost and end up in a random town and stay for dinner, find a pub with some traditional music and stay for the craic.

11. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

We are going next year so thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've got my Clancy brothers lyrics down from many songs. We will hopefully visit a local pub to hang with the folks. I was told at this past, mostly Irish, New Years eve party not to stand in Dublin sipping Baileys like a tourist while yelling "Bono Sucks" after I asked if it was ok. I'm a clown like that :) and it was a fun party indeed.

12. Doodad

Doodad Member

We have been twice so I am good with how to get around and pubs and such. I really need something out west of Galway to fill a day. Maybe Achill Island? Clare Island?

13. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Silver Supporting Member

Mizen Head was a pretty cool visit. Takes a while to get there up the Bantry coast but was worth it. Think that's what it was called (Bantry Coast)...could've been just the Atlantic ocean...

14. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

15. hamstrat

hamstrat Member

I going to presume you've been to Kylemore Abbey, if not, I think it is worth the visit.

On our next trip over I want to visit and stay a day or 2 in Clifden. I listen to Connemara Community Radio from time to time and I have to go there.

In Galway City we love going to McDonagh's for some fresh fish 'n chips.

Please tell us, when you get back, what you thought of your stay at Ashford Castle (that is also on our possible wish list).

16. JamesNylen

JamesNylen Member

I second connemara national park. I have been to Ireland twice in the past 3 years and connemara is one of the most beautiful places in Ireland. I visited both times. If you will be near Galway get a real claddagh ring.

17. Doodad

Doodad Member

Ok, thanks on Achill. We are going to the park.

18. Doodad

Doodad Member

Yes Kylemore is on our itinerary on the way back from Cong. We are going to Clifden as well for shopping; I found a good looking grocery there. We are not staying in Ashford, we are doing the falconry class there and staying in Cong itself.

19. davess23

davess23 Member

Climb up and put a stone on Queen Maeve's grave. Hang out in Sligo pubs. Get into some conversations. Check out the old circle forts and standing stones. See the Cliffs of Moher. Drink Guinness. Visit the Burren. Get in more conversations. Hang out in Kinvarra pubs. Drink more Guinness.