Ireland

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by htm62, Apr 6, 2013.

1. htm62

htm62 Member

My wife is busting a gut to go this summer. Any opinions/advice from fellow TGP'ers? Thanks!

2. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

I've only been to Dublin, but there's lots to do there.... like the Guinness tour....the Jameson's tour...etc

3. sws1

sws1 Member

The west side of Ireland is better than the eastern. I flew into Dublin, drove down south and then west, leaving out of Shannon, staying at B&Bs every spot. (A must do.) The west is so gorgeous and friendly. Amazing.

4. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

+1

Fly into Shannon, take the scenic to Kilkee, by way of Kilrush, and make your way slowly up N67 the west coast to Galway. Depending on time you can keep heading North... catch a train to Dublin or wherever to fly back if you like.

Best way to see Ireland is slowly, in the little towns, esp. at their pubs where you get a chance to meet the single friendliest people I've ever encountered in the world.

5. Silver

Silver Member

I've not been yet personally, but it's top of the list destination wise at this point in time. The west coast looks to have some fantastic scenery if you're into that sort of thing. My dad's side of the family are from the county where these are;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KindaFuzzy

KindaFuzzy Member

Galway was good fun, we went to some pub that was like a million years old on the main strip. Agreed about the friendliest people in the world too, either that or they really like Canadians.

7. music321

music321 Member

Bring an acoustic with you. The people are more into creating music, as opposed to just listening to it. Be sure to be up on your DADGAD tuning, though :)

8. htm62

htm62 Member

Thanks guys, keep those suggestions coming. Looks like we may be planning a trip :)

9. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

I went to Dublin for three days to unwind from a hellacious three week business trip in Wales. I generally dislike cities, but had a ball in Dublin.

10. lazaraga

lazaraga Senior Member

I spent 11 days there about a decade ago. The glens of Antrim were amazingly beautiful. Dublin and Belfast were fun and interesting. Book of kells was cool to see also.

11. cmnyc

cmnyc Member

Went a few years back. Decided to rent a house outside of Limerick for a week - this gave us a good base to explore the West and South of Ireland, all of which was incredibly beautiful. Lots of natural beauty, great people, cool castles - it's all good. Ended the trip with 5 days in Dublin, which was probably 1 or 2 days too many. . .nice city to visit, though. Driving was not an issue with a couple of hours of practice.

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Play as loud as you want while she is gone?

13. cram

cram Member

Tour b&b's through the country. you'll not be disappointed if you're at all outgoing and enjoy simply talking with people.

Check this hilarious book -
    Hitch Hiking Ireland with a Fridge

14. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

I also flew into Shannon and spent 6-7 days exploring the west side of the country (Galway, Kerry, Dingle, Adare, Cork, Cashel, Kinsale, etc.). Just an amazing place. Drove through the south and up to Dublin, where I spent 3-4 days.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't bother with Dublin--I'd just add extra days to those other locations. There were a few cool things to see there, but I just liked everything outside of Dublin much better.

15. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I was there pike fishing, west of Galway. Very pretty area and the fishing can be outstanding. A guided trip on a river or one of the big lochs could be fun if you guys are the outdoorsy types.

16. wilerty

wilerty Member

How old are you? Are you looking for a tour or to do your own thing? How many are going and how old?

17. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

The museums in Dublin are excellent. Check out the Dead Zoo at the natural history museum. Also the Trinity Library. Awesome food can be had at the gastro-pub Mulligan's in Stoneybatter, which also has a lot of craft beer and a ridiculous assortment of Irish whiskey.

For music in Dublin, the bands that play in the more tourist areas (Temple Bar) are more touristy bands. Real music can be heard at the Cobblestone, also in Stoneybatter, around the corner from Mulligan's.

Since you're going with your wife, practice not gawking at beautiful women, especially in Galway. Steve Earle was not kidding with that Galway Girl song.

18. MES10

MES10 Member

19. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Went to Ireland 18 years ago. If get the chance go to Cork and The famous Blarney Castles and kiss the Blarney Stone.

20. disguiseglasses

disguiseglasses Member

Just returned from a two week trip. Perhaps the best thing I can say is that I'd jump on the plane and return in a minute. The people are wonderful, the countryside is gorgeous and the experience cannot be beat.

Biggest advice- get into the normal pubs and bars- NOT the touristy places. Guinness Factory? For the birds. Go and HAVe a Guniess with the locals and talk with them. The Itish are the world's preeminent conversationalists- there are nine better. The banter there is sublime.