iRig Blueboard functionality with Mac?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by CyberFerret, Apr 19, 2015.

1. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

For those of you who have the iRig Blueboard bluetooth enabled pedalboard - a question.

I note from the sales literature that it says the Blueboard is designed to work with iOS apps (specifically Amplitube), and that it has a 'go between' Blueboard iOS app. Not sure if the Blueboard app is NEEDED to run it, or is the Blueboard recognised as a Bluetooth LE MIDI device in its own right by the iOS device?

To extend this - I was wondering if anyone had managed to get the Blueboard working on their Mac/MacBooks at all? e.g. Using Blueboard to trigger MIDI signals to S-Gear etc.?

2. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

I could only get the blueboard to work with my amp sim apps, by running the blueboard IOS App. But it works well. I used it with TONESTACK, Jamup, and I think a few others ?

Unfortunately I don't own a MAC . I really wanted to try it with my PC based amp sims... I Have to go buy a Mac soon ... I really am thinking about it.. Not just for this, but it certainly is a bonus !

Elantric likes this.
  3. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Cool thanks for the clarification re the iOS Blueboard app... I might just get a unit and test it out on my Mac. It I get no luck, I can still use it with my iOS modellers...

4. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

The Blueboard app is indeed required to run it because the app also handles the bluetooth to MIDI conversion. I was sort of able to get it to work (very badly) with my bt equipped Eventide H9. It was really out of it's element when I tried it with my H9. The H9 would recognize it, but it would take two stomps to recall a preset for example, and the expression pedal response was borderline unusable IMHO. Very sluggish & glitchy - as in the opposite of smooth & even.

I've only had luck with it when using it with iOS apps like JamUp Pro and Amp Kit+. It was slower than midi due to the bt conversion process. I thought it was fairly clunky overall, though I never tried it with Amplitube (which just didn't do it for me).

Theoretically, it should be able to link with a bt equipped mac, I just never tried it. I was pretty much done with it after trying it with my H9 and sold it. For the kind of reliability & consistency I need, it just wasn't ready for prime time based on that experience.

5. LewisYL

LewisYL Member

There is a Mac app for it, I couldn't get it to work with my 2009 MacBook Pro though, something to do with the Bluetooth in the Mac not being right or something like that. If you have a newer Mac then you should be ok.

6. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Thanks for this snippet of info. My MacBook is a 2009 model as well.

I believe that the Blueboard uses Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) which is a new spec and not fully supported by older Macs (or older iPhones/iPads).

I guess this is another reason for me to upgrade my hardware! :)

EDIT: Thanks also to BCy2k for the info about working with the Eventide! Looks like this technology still needs some fine tuning...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  7. Math7

Math7 Member

Just to share the information:

It works with my old MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009 - OSX El Captain). I'm using the Asus BT400 USB adapter. After you insert the adapter, you have to open the Terminal app (in Utilities folder) and type this code:

sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=always

Press enter and the app will ask for your password. After typing your password and hitting enter again, all you have to do is reboot your Mac. [​IMG]

You just have to do it once. After that, insert the adapter whenever you want to use Bluetooth Low Energy and it's done!

Elantric likes this.