Iron Gear pickups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by realbluesoldkid, Apr 23, 2016.

1. realbluesoldkid

realbluesoldkid Member

Hi guys , I'm not very satisfied by the tone of my 335-type guitar , so I'm looking for a not very expensive as a Lollar or a Gibson '57 pup ... but can make difference with my actual Wilkinson WMHR AlNiCo V Mini Humbucker Pickup, P90 .
    Googlin' , I met these stuff ... (http://www.irongear.co.uk/ ) (especially that kind of PAF 'Blues Engine') ; it seems 'very good' but pretty cheap...I like the usual classic fat , greasy and warm sound of the blues and of a certain rock blues . Anyone knows them ? thank you

2. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

I've used a lot of their pickups, Steam Hammer, Dirty Torque, Blues Engine and the Rolling Mill. I've been impressed with all of them, I haven't got experience with any of the more expensive pickup makers, but to my ears they sound just as good as the Dimarzio and Duncan pickups I've owned. I would recommend the Rolling Mill over the Blues Engine for PAF type tones, they both sound very similar but the Rolling Mill has a little more output, and it's cheaper too.

3. realbluesoldkid

realbluesoldkid Member

Thanks to Bobby ! Any other experience ?

4. rutxer

rutxer Member

I have a pair of Alchemist 90 (neck) and Rolling Mill (bridge) in a Squier Telecaster Custom, and I'm very happy with them. A lot better than ghe stock pickups. Wilkinson should be aldo good bang for the buck, so I can't say how much on an upgrade would it be.

Even if the pound is strong to the euro now, the shipping costs are reasonable and no customs (compared to getting GFS from overseas).

And excellent customer service as well from Axetec. In addition to the pickups I ordered a set of locking tuners. In one of them the bushing wouldn't screw in (screwed up thread). I notified them and they immediately sent a replacement with zero cost for me. Great tuners by the way.

5. realbluesoldkid

realbluesoldkid Member