IR's are so bassy...

Step 1. Purchase @York Audio IR’s
Step 2. Snip bottom, snip top. Snip snip.
Step 3. Save EQ preset in daw plugin.
Step 4. There is no step 4.

Do people record with mics, and expect to not touch a thing? News to me.

6filwd.jpg
Excuse me, brother. Do you have a few moments to talk about AIRD?

Bill Dennis

Silver Supporting Member
Did you start the thread to get advice or to give it? Sounds to me like you think you already know/understanding everything. Your original post and responses have been very vague/terse so it's not surprising responses have been general, something you've tried, etc.

If you think IRs suck and you're such a brilliant producer just keep doing what you're doing, I guess. Why are you even looking at switching? Maybe that's a start.
I was trying to understand why a tool that is very largely used for recording purposes has not been refined to serve that purpose, as well as just being a "copy" of the genuine article.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
I was trying to understand why a tool that is very largely used for recording purposes has not been refined to serve that purpose, as well as just being a "copy" of the genuine article.
You aren’t responding to genuine questions and/or suggestions from plenty of people whose experiences don’t match yours at all, and are doggedly insisting that you are the only one who is correct. Maybe, just maybe, if the problem was as widespread as you believe it to be, then IRs wouldn’t be popular, or you’d at least find the first page of D&M with threads about how to EQ out this bassy-ness? But also, maybe it’s you.

bigcupholder

I ordered the Mesa Trad and Marshall M25 packs to try
I haven't tried the Mesa Trad but the M25 is great.

If you want more clarity in the low mids, try one of the 2x12 York IR packs. The $1 Mesa 2x12 is great. For some mixes a 2x12 IR just sits a lot better.

Edit: I'll echo the sentiment above to start with mixes. I use mix 1 to select the cab, then try different mixes after, but often mix 1 is what I end up on regardless.

Bill Dennis

Silver Supporting Member
You aren’t responding to genuine questions and/or suggestions from plenty of people whose experiences don’t match yours at all, and are doggedly insisting that you are the only one who is correct. Maybe, just maybe, if the problem was as widespread as you believe it to be, then IRs wouldn’t be popular, or you’d at least find the first page of D&M with threads about how to EQ out this bassy-ness? But also, maybe it’s you.
I am not responding to people utterly uninformed on my equipment or skills suggesting causes that I know full well are not the case. I am not interested in arguing with them as they trying to be helpful. Then there folks who think they know more than the person who poses a question simply because they posed the question or alternatively, think that since they don't hear, it must not be true. Again, not wanting to argue with people so I just let it go.

But now, since I tried to be civil and let things go, you want turn that around on me and use it as evidence that I don't know what I am talking about. So be it...

Bill Dennis

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't tried the Mesa Trad but the M25 is great.

If you want more clarity in the low mids, try one of the 2x12 York IR packs. The $1 Mesa 2x12 is great. For some mixes a 2x12 IR just sits a lot better.

Edit: I'll echo the sentiment above to start with mixes. I use mix 1 to select the cab, then try different mixes after, but often mix 1 is what I end up on regardless.
I missed that one. WIll have to grab that one too

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
I am not responding to people utterly uninformed on my equipment or skills suggesting causes that I know full well are not the case. I am not interested in arguing with them as they trying to be helpful. Then there folks who think they know more than the person who poses a question simply because they posed the question or alternatively, think that since they don't hear, it must not be true. Again, not wanting to argue with people so I just let it go.

But now, since I tried to be civil and let things go, you want turn that around on me and use it as evidence that I don't know what I am talking about. So be it...
What you call civil reads awfully dismissive through 3 pages now. Have a great day.

primemover12

Sounds like user error. Certainly some IRs can be bassy; others can be really bright. Because, you know, different cabs, different speakers, and different mic placement yields different sounds. But countless people have made professional recordings across a huge range of genres with IRs. If you genuinely think they're all bassy, that's probably you, your rig, or your monitoring solution.

You keep on believing that... Believing it should not be necessary does not equal not knowing how to fix it.

The perception of this place continues to be warranted...
You keep on believing you’re the only smart guy in the room, and not being completely obtuse. You’ve already demonstrated that you’re out of your element.
Time for another block.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom