Is $199 a good price for a super clean DM2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jnichols2727, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jnichols2727

jnichols2727 Member

Saw one locally in great shape for $199 and I'm tempted to pick it up.

2. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

3. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I take it it's a vintage one? If it is, I think that's a decent price since most of the ones on ebay are $200+

4. succor

succor Member

Are there non-vintage dm2's? (serious question)

5. doublee

doublee Member

I paid 300+ a few years ago for one....:facepalm

6. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

No.

7. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

I paid $165 for mine, but it's far from clean.

To be honest at the prices they get these days it might be a good idea to explore other options. For ~$200 you get 300ms of delay time. the delay signal is actually rather quiet in comparison to the dry signal.

If that's all you need/want then I'm sure it will be a great fit.

8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

if you wait around you'll find some drop below 175 here and there - might be beat up, but for a no-issue DM2, that's as low as i've seen them go.

9. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

are you using it at 12v?

10. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

I love my DM-2 (3205)

From what I've read, you just want to make sure the internal trimpots (3 of them if I remember correctly) have not been tampered with.
    I checked mine and they are sealed with green nail polish looking stuff.

I think I paid $175 around 10 years ago - works great but has some paint chips.

11. DigitalHater

DigitalHater Member

Wow, I must have gotten a great deal on mine over 10 years ago. The LED didn't work (1 trip to radio shack) so that may have influenced the fair price. $200 still seems fair for such an amazing pedal. My DM2 is 1 pedal I will NEVER get rid of.

12. koa

koa Member

I tried to sell one about six months ago. It was in pretty good shape and fought to get 160.00 shipped for it.

13. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

The delayed signal can get just as loud as the dry signal, if not louder, as long as the trim pots haven't got moved way out of whack. It also could be underpowered, as someone else mentioned. It runs on 9V, but that requires a 12V unregulated adapter, because the pedal has a zener diode that knocks the 12V down to 9V. Therefore, giving it a 9V supply would power it with around 6V or so. It will still work like this, but not as well, and the LED may be dim/out.

However it can run off of a 9V battery, and it will also work with a 9V adapter, as long as it is daisy chained with at least one other 9V pedal.

I paid $200 for one DM-2, and $150 for another. Both have MN3205 chips. I love them! I don't really worry about the trim pots too much, because chances are they are tweaked, but they can still sound great. They can even be re-calibrated if needed. Of course, non-tweaked is preferable...

14. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

That's a good price if it's a MN3005 that hasn't been tampered with. Not that I care about the chip differences but the 3005 version is definitely more sought after. I've been offered $300 for mine before and it's quite beaten up.

15. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

There's a mint one at a local shop here for $280, but base don some research I did recently, the going range on Ebay and GC looks to be around $180-$220 (though average condition on the open market seems to be fairly beat up. If your is mint with un-tampered pots, $200 is a good price - not killer, but something both you and the seller can be happy about.

16. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

17. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Dude, you're asking the Gear Page?
    THis is a delay fetish site. I don't believe I would ever pay that much for an old Boss.
    Just saying.

18. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

I'm selling the DM-2 to fund a guitar purchase - otherwise this would be staying with me. I don't think you've played through this pedal before. It's everything others have said about it and more... Analog delay at its best in this small size. Definitely worth the price it's been yielding.

19. JoeE

JoeE Member

I bought mine for $220 about 4 years ago. Just get it man, you won't regret it.
    It's a classic and it's got the mojo so you must factor that into your decision!

20. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

I bought mine for 60€ 6-7 years ago from a local shop closing. New with box and everything. Sold it for 300€ a week later