• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Is $2250 too much to pay for a mint original '65 Vibrolux

Timinator

Silver Supporting Member
I found one for sale locally. The guy won't budge price wise. I hate that! In today's economy is that too much? Only thing that has been done is one or two tubes with NOS stuff. Everything else is original including the two prong cord and all caps and resistors.

KazJY

yeah, I saw one for $2500 recently.

Super Reverbs are going for a bit less, but you'll have to carry that weight around.

Let us know if you grab it!

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
At that point, I think it depends on how minty it is ... if it looks like it could sit on a store shelf as-new, it will fetch a crazy buck. It also depends on where you live, here in Buffalo prices are rust-belt low.

Sometimes it's better to pass on top dollar deals, and wait for a more motivated seller.

fullerplast

If it's local, let your ears and eyes decide in person. It's in an acceptable range pricewise.

Vintage amps are not all equivalent. If it knocks your socks off, take it home and don't quibble. Be very happy....and don't forget your socks.:AOK

soldersucker

I'm passing on things i don't think are great deal especially now that we are in the great resession.Witness my 800.00 64 BFVR

Blue Strat

If it's local, let your ears and eyes decide in person. It's in an acceptable range pricewise.

Vintage amps are not all equivalent. If it knocks your socks off, take it home and don't quibble. Be very happy....and don't forget your socks.:AOK
+1.

A $2250 local amp that blows you away is worth more than an $1800 mystery amp that you can't try out and must have shipped to you.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Collector? Whatever the market dictates.
Player? If you cannot get good tone for less, maybe, but are you fooling yourself?

Timinator

Silver Supporting Member
Usually the more original and unmolested the better chance for the original, vintage tone. The more mint it is the better for resale should that be necessary. It's not always a collector vs. player decision. Personally, unless I have another tried and true amp for comparison, it's difficult for me to know if an amp has "it" by playing it one time in an unfarmiliar location. If I could haul it home and plug it in next to all my other amps that's another thing.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Vibrolux reverbs are one of the best BF Fender amps out there are far less common that BF Twin Reverbs, Super Reverbs, Deluxe Reverbs or even Pro Reverbs...I remember a time wiht a clean BF Lux Reveb could and would bring over 3k...$2250...sure maybe it's a tad high with the market the way it is but it'll go back up for sure and in truth since it's local thats even better...go play it, if it kills buy it!

mesanatic

That doesn't sound out of line to me. $2250 was the low end for an all original BF Vibrolux Reverb with $3k + sales frequently.
Not sure the market now but I don't see them all that often. I would charge more than that for mine, recession or not.

Timinator

Silver Supporting Member
Man, I"m on the fence about this amp. I know how good BF Vibrolux's are "suppose" to sound and I'm sure they do I just have never heard or played one that I can remember. I have played and heard early '70's Vibrolux's and they were wonderful. Even on Youtube, the best Vibrolux tones that I've heard are from the Silverfaces. I'll take a trip over tomorrow and play it.

rickmebe

Roy Buchanan's amp of choice. Love the 2x10 speaker configuration. Along with the Deluxe Reverb, its my favorite blackface amp...

cander328

If you are going to play it you should factor in another $200 for routine maintenance to include conversion to 3 prong plug and caps. This is assuming that the electrolytic caps need to be changed - I changed them in my '65 BFVR and it made a great amp sound even better and I am not worried about the PT going up in smoke because of a leaky cap.

soldano16

The BFVR's are great amps - especially with the gold label Jensens. I would at least check it out. It could be worth it.

Timinator

Silver Supporting Member
For those in the know, how would you compare the BF Vibrolux to a Bruno Cowtipper 30 or 45 for cleans and feel?

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
$2250 is not too much. You'd be lucky to find a mint VLux for cheaper.

Mint ones still fetch $2500-$3k on a regular basis. A lot of people believe the mint ones do not get effected by the economy and I'm starting to believe it's true.

I bought a 65 for $1400 last September-ish - it wasn't mint clean, but it was pretty good.

For those in the know, how would you compare the BF Vibrolux to a Bruno Cowtipper 30 or 45 for cleans and feel?
I tried a couple of Bruno's at Ultrasound - the CT45, Leadman 60, and UG45. I don't think any of the cleans on any of the amps sounded anything like a BF Fender. More mids, less sparkle than blackface, imo. Kind of like a Marshall 100w with just a little more chime.

Trending Topics