Is 4-way switching worthwhile on a Tele with 2 humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by NoahL, Jan 15, 2008.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

Or one with a SC in the bridge and an H in the neck? Or is it just useful with two SCs, and muddy when there's a humbucker in the mix? Or does it depend on the output of the humbucker? Thanks everyone.

2. melody maker

melody maker Member

I Have My Melody Maker Switched Through The Tone Knob To Go Single-coil On "10" And Double-coil 1 - 9. I Usually Leave It Sc Most Of The Time. But The Variety Comes Through When You Use A Phase Switch In Combination With Both Pickups On (middle Position) Kind-a Sounds Like A Strat W/ A 5-way.

3. NoahL

NoahL Member

I wonder if you're talking about what I had in mind, which is the 4th position, with the two pickups in series. Makes two SCs more girthy together, but is it overkill on a HB guitar, even if they're low-output pickups?

4. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

It never hurts to experiment. Yes it could get muddy but you never know how it sounds until you wire it up.

That being said, you can try using the double wafer 4p5t 5 way super switch, which is much more versatile than the 4-way and better suited with 2 humbuckers especially if both have 4 conductor wires.

Split coil, in parallel, inside/outside coils in series, out of phase sound...etc.

5. kjriel

kjriel Supporting Member

I have wired many guitars with a 2 humbucker in series option and most of the time it is overkill, unless you can split the humbuckers or can phase the two pickups, but, I have a Warmoth thinline with a PRS vintage bass neck pickup and a hot stack bridge pickup and the 4th switch position (pickups in series) is very usefull in that guitar. By the way, the PRS vintage bass pickup in the neck of a thinline tele is an awsome place for a pickup that sounds awful in the PRS that it came out of.

Keith Riel