Is 80 watts of solid state gigable ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Whiplash523, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Whiplash523

Whiplash523 Member

Hello everybody, I was thinking about getting this solid state randall combo, but its only 80 watts of power, and i'm unsure on whether or not this would be enough for band practices and small to medium gigs. Cheers ! \\m/http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/randall-rg-80-80w-solid-state-guitar-combo?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAjw876oBRCYr86w6KGfpkgSJAACIidwMGvy2qonszncz_HObv0goe5jdWP7WH2QMqH_99gLqxoCO63w_wcB&kwid=productads-plaid%5E83573339307-sku%5EH94888000001000@ADL4MF-adType%5EPLA-device%5Ec-adid%5E53736456387

2. stevel

stevel Member

Totally depends.

If you're mic'ing an amp at a gig, then 5 watts is giggable. 1.5 watts is giggable. Heck, direct to the PA with no amp is giggable.

OK, maybe 1.5 watts won't work because there would be too much bleed from the other instruments, BUT...

it's also giggable if everyone plays a REASONABLE volume.

Most people don't mic during band practices. But you'd have to try it out. Hard hitting drummers or other players that are too loud - I don't know.

If you're in a situation where you're having to play un-mic'd at gigs, then I'd be concerned.

80 watts of solid state is nowhere near the volume of 80 watts of tube. But 80 is better than 40.

There are too many "depends" issues here - depends on the size of the venue, depends on how loud the other players are, depends on if you're mic'ing or not, etc. etc.

The only way to know is try. Buy it somewhere were you can return it for store credit and buy something larger.

FWIW I have a little 15 Watt Pro Junior that I take to rehearsals and have had to use, mic'd on a stage. No clean headroom, and it is what it is, but with my pedalboard it was fine for the gig (and that's in a loud classic prog rock band). I use it at rehearsals with the same band. Is it loud enough to be balanced with the other too loud musicians? No. But I can hear myself, and mic'd through the PA, so can everyone else.

3. Whiplash523

Whiplash523 Member

4. rsm

rsm Member

Depends on how the 80w rating was "calculated".

5. Tread

Tread Member

............and which way the wind is blowing .

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

How heavy handed is your drummer? What is the bassist playing? Are you using a PA and what is it rated and how loud do you crank it?

All that said, 80w is usually more than enough for almost any practice situation, depending a little on the speaker.

7. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

I don't know anything about that Randall but many gigs have been played with an 80 watt Bandit.

8. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Yup! An 80 watt Bandit is my sketchy club/bad weather-outdoor gig backup. Oh, it sounds good too.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if you can't do the gig with 80 watts of 12" speaker tilted up at your head then the band is too loud to get gigs anyway.

the old RG80s were one of the few "classic" ss amps, along with the roland cube 60 and jazz chorus and maybe the peavey bandit. it looks like this one still has the real effects loop, making it pretty "professional" for that price range.

the real question is, "does it sound good?"

10. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Been a long time since I gigged with solid state, but when I did, I used a 65 watt Fender Princeton 650 and had no problems at all. I tend to agree with......

11. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

80W solid state is more than enough for most places without miking up.

12. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Hard to say. Back in the '90s I had a 2x12 80w Marshall Valvestate that struggled to keep up with drums; I currently have a 60w Epiphone Triggerman 1x12 and it can compete with even the loudest drummers without problems. As noted all depends on the amp. Most of the Randall stuff is usually pretty loud for the wattage ratings.

13. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Depends on how the power is calculated, the situation, and how much clean headroom you need. Lots of unpredictables.

14. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

I've gotten through a band practice with a champ 30 plugged into a 1960a. 80 is plenty.

15. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Of course it's giggable and then some.

Tons of Musicians, mainly Pro ones, going from gig to gig with a Bandit or similar in the car trunk.

The speaker quality has a lot tp do with it.

That old Randall should have an old Eminence built one, think similar to a good Legend.

Old Marshall VS8080 combos driving a Celestion G12T75 colud hold it very well in most Clubs.

And in a larger place, that's what the PA is for.

16. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

80 watts, not always. As noted, the way it is calculated is not-standardized. But that particular amp is pretty loud.

17. teemuk

teemuk Member

Agreed.

80 watts should be plenty enough for most situations unless you want pristinely clean amplified deep bass. ...which usually isn't going to be an issue with guitar amplification.

:aok
    One good reason for my disdain towards "practice amps": Compact enough to carry around, feature-packed enough, headroom to sound great at band volumes and yet leaves nothing to be ashamed of when you turn down the master volume for "bedroom" settings. Makes you wonder why even buy amps that you can't use in a band settting.

18. musicman1

musicman1 Member

IMO...no.

Wont have enough clean headroom plus it will sound small and thin.

You can of course gig with a Micro Cube and mic up but it only works if you have a source to hear yourself.

19. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Mainly pro ones?