Is 9lb 9oz heavy for a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Raymond Lin, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

I found my perfect Gibson Les Paul, ticks every single box except a little heavier than I wanted (< 9lb).

I would be part ex my PRS custom 22 to get it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My PRS

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Manicstarseed

Manicstarseed Member

My `76 LP Standard weighs 14lbs.

3. ixnay

ixnay Member

Most I've owned have been between 9 and 9.5 lbs

4. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

~9.5 lbs is my max. With so many LPs out there, why settle?

5. davetone

davetone Member

If the Les Paul rocks your world, and has everything you want in it, then the only consideration at this point (not tone, playability, workmanship, etc.) is your back.

Check out some dealers' websites that list weights. For example, if you go to the Wildwood Guitars website, and use the drop down menus (Electrics > Gibson USA Guitars) then you will be able to see a good sampling of what's available weight-wise by clicking the different links (Les Paul Classic, Les Paul Standard, etc.). The cool thing about this site is that the weights are listed right there on each model's main page, and you don't have to click on each guitar to find out the weight.

And it does look like 9 lbs 9 oz. is at the higher end of the scale, just by quickly looking at those pages.

My Norlin era Les Paul that I had for years played and sounded like a dream, but 12 pounds got to be way too much. (I'm currently in heaven with my 6.1 pound semi hollow PRS S2 Mira.)

Keep us posted on what you decide!

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

If you're OK with "~9.5 lbs." and the guitar the OP likes is 9 lb. 9 oz. which is is 9.56 lbs., shouldn't your response be a clear, "Yes, buy it?"

7. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

^ if it's heavier than what he wanted, why would I say "buy it"? There are plenty of LPs out there that are under 9 lbs. The one he is looking at is also a Custom Shop guitar. Meaning he is willing to spend a fair bit of money, so he could probably find one that is < 9 lbs in his budget.

8. XKnight

XKnight Member

Before I heard of TGP I never weighed any of my guitars and didn't really give it any thought. Of course I was much younger and a couple pounds either way didn't matter to me. These days I do prefer lighter guitars simply because my back and shoulders appreciate it.

That being said, I do have a LP R8 that weighs over 9 pounds and it's the only LP I've kept throughout the years. It has the thickest and nastiest tone of any LP I've ever played. Whether the weight is responsible for the killer tone is certainly debatable.

9. CptnMayo

CptnMayo Member

That's nothing. look at that flame! Get it and build the muscles to compensate =P

10. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I had a 57 historic that was only about 8.2 pounds. That was perfect for a Les Paul in my opinion. 9.6 pounds is way too heavy for me, when there are so many lighter ones out there.

11. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

[​IMG]

Exactly 9lb 9oz

It's 45 min from my house!

12. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

My PRS stripped 58 is 8lbs 5oz so I will definitely be able to tell the difference between them. Hence i prefer it if it's closer to 9lb than 10lb.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  13. kennybro

kennybro Member

That's a very pretty guitar. As some have already said, you'll have to ask your own back and shoulder the weight question.

Personally, heavy guitars (over 8 pounds) are over the limit. My current fave LP is an early Classic Premium Plus; weighs in 8 lb 13 oz. But I looked far and wide for it. Nearly all I tried were at or over 9 lbs.

[​IMG][/IMG]

14. AD

AD Supporting Member

Does it feel good to you? Are you playing live (standing) a lot?

15. clcwarlock

clcwarlock Member

Way to heavy for me. I'm surprised the custom shop even made them over 9. I'm guessing cause some people do like heavier.

16. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

Killer looking guitar! I'd get it. That weight isn't too bad...don't listen to these guys. I had a 58 ri and it was jut about that weight and really didn't feel bad at all. My current LP is 8.5 and if it were a 1lb heavier I wouldn't care.

I don't know why people expect these things to weigh under 8lbs. Sure, they are out there but under 8lbs and they start to sound different and can lack some of that LP muscle that we all love.

17. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

I don't gig, so I guess the weight isn't critical.

18. =JL=

=JL= Member

Exactly.

19. TK LP

TK LP Member

It wouldn't bother me, I'd probably treat myself to a comfy wide strap. That is a beautiful guitar.

20. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

That's a beautiful guitar!