• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Is a '57 Les Paul Jr. for $1500 a no brainer?

FireBottle

Gold Supporting Member
Not a re-issue. I've got a line on one and haven't yet seen it...assuming G/VG condition (as I've been told), $1,500 sounds like a pretty amazing deal. From a friend's aquaintence who needs to move a lot of toys fast due to a financial emergency. My first instinct is to grab it...the resale on these seems to be all over the map though...I hope to check it out tomorrow.

No brainer???

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
Not a re-issue. I've got a line on one and haven't yet seen it...assuming G/VG condition (as I've been told), $1,500 sounds like a pretty amazing deal. From a friend's aquaintence who needs to move a lot of toys fast due to a financial emergency. My first instinct is to grab it...the resale on these seems to be all over the map though...I hope to check it out tomorrow.

No brainer???
:D

Grab it!

FireBottle

Gold Supporting Member
What sort of issues (and I know this is sort of a dumb question) would be red flags from a negative standpoint? IOW, what to look for???

I'm not experienced or knowledgeable in vintage instruments in general or Gibson Les Paul Jrs specifically...I own an '02 Stnd. and some strats...

FireBottle

Gold Supporting Member
For $1,500.00, as long as it's in one piece, there almost are no issues.
I guess that's where my head is at on this...all sort of happening pretty fast. I'm just standing by waiting for the call back to arrange a time to see it. Might just be too good to be true. :worried

opdev

If the neck is snapped in two it's still a fair price.

Make sure it's not a 3/4 size.

Custom50

yup. but it. hell, it would be a steal at double that price if it's not in 2 pieces.

Brock

I got a 55 for a little more than that. Great deal even if its a refin. Show pics when you get it.

FireBottle

Gold Supporting Member
Is there a serial number sequence for this era that any of you are familiar with? It would be nice to know what to look for...in the meantime I'll sniff around online. Thanks!

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
the first number is what year it is in the 50s. they go like this: 7 XXXX . so that would be a 57.

Even if it has two humbuckers home cut into the top, a cracked headstock, and a refin, it is a decent deal. If all of that stuff was done to it, then it would have to sound good unplugged to be worth it. Also, almost any damage like that can be fixed by lays or someplace like that. It also depends on your personal finances. If you are buying it to turn it around instantly, it will be harder to get your money back and a profit if there are problems like the ones I mentioned. Not impossible, but harder. If it is truly original, no breaks, and decent condition, you could probably double your money within the week. Also if it is a yellowish color (called tv yellow) it is worth wayy more than a regular one.

paul1122

Get it, but remember what you paid when you sell it. Pass the love on. Maybe tell the guy who is having money problems that you'll give him a cut when you sell.

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
Buy it yesterday, hand him the $1500 and run!!! Make sure you post some pictures once you've gotten it. Heck, that's a decent deal on a reissue let alone an original, that would be the deal of the month here on the forum!

Good luck!

FireBottle

Gold Supporting Member
Get it, but remember what you paid when you sell it. Pass the love on. Maybe tell the guy who is having money problems that you'll give him a cut when you sell.
If I did sell it I would definitely cut some off for the guy selling it...rough times hit us all eventually. Kharma.

Apparently he also has a Harley that he's letting go for $10K...I have know idea what that means since I'm not a Harley guy, but I could find out more.

Last edited:

sixty2strat

Not to rain on this parade but that price seems TOO low cavet emptor. Wonder if it might be a Ri from the 70's that would be more in line. almost bough a 60's refined for 2k abou 5 or 6 years ago

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Not to rain on this parade but that price seems TOO low cavet emptor. Wonder if it might be a Ri from the 70's that would be more in line. almost bough a 60's refined for 2k abou 5 or 6 years ago
I'm with you - if it seems too good to be true ..... and all that.

Still, it's not impossible. A '57 LP Junior should have a single cut and a serial number 7 XXXX, but if it's actually a '56 it could have a longer serial number without the leading "6" or "7", a space, than 4 digits - '56's are differently numbered, and not with the traditional Gibson numbering scheme.

A REAL '57 Junior should have pots that are from '57 too - read the date codes to make sure. In a LP Junior, there are not a whole lot of other things one can check to verify the year - there's no switch, no differences between them other than serial number, finish color, and pot date codes. The resistor (EDIT: Ooops, make that "capacitor") in the tone circuit should be a large 'bumble bee' type.

Hell, for your sake, I hope it's real and an excellent guitar - buy it if it is!

Thanks, Dana O.

Last edited:

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Are the date codes straight forward?

Thanks.
Go here:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html

By the way, pots are cheap relatively speaking, and easy to replace. In addition to the actual date code, look at the solder joints themselves - see whether they look original or like they've been redone more than once (HINT - there could be a lot of sloppy extra solder if it's been redone a lot.) Even if the solder joints are not original, the guitar still could be the real deal. After all, I've replaced the pots in most of the guitars I've had at one time or another, for one reason or another. Doesn't mean it's a bad deal, just means somebody replaced 'em. It COULD also mean that somebody put old pots in a newer guitar though .... with the intention of faking some prospective buyer out.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

Trending Topics