Is a compressor pedal necessary?

Gillespie1983

Compressor is not essential for live guitar work. On the negative side, they often increase the noise level and can sound squishy, too. Studios and DAWs have compressor plug-ins that work fine for basic recording.
EQ is a matter of taste and preference. I use a Timmy as the last OD in the chain. The treble and bass cuts are handy, but not essential.

jordane93

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................no

TheKermitC

As for me a compressor does make a good difference in a subtle way or in an extreme way if you want, but in most cases I guess its not worth spending 250 usd for subtlety..

Black_Label

I've never really thought of myself as a 'compressor guy' and I'm really not a connoisseur. But I realized that I have a comp in both of my rigs that's pretty much always on. Contrary to what other guys are doing, I like an SP Comp in front of my Marshall for live playing. It doesn't seem to add much when I'm playing dirty sounds (LP with vol on 10) but when I roll off my volume to get a clean sound, it adds back in some treble and sparkle so that there isn't this big jump between the dirty and clean tones.

Nimbus

To me, it is a necessity. It's like a mechanic and his tools. You may not always need it, but sometimes it's the only tool for the job. I would never be without one.
At first for me it was one of those pedals that just gathered dust. But when I finally got a good one and gradually figured out how much it could do I would hate to be without one now. The turning point for me was when I plugged into an Origin Effects SlideRig and it was like going from a 6 cylinder to a Hemi playing slide. Now I don't even want to play slide without it. Like most pedals they can either be a total waste of money or a wonderful thing depending on what you use it for.

DaveKS

For achieving certain squishy sounds, yes. Now for use as a dynamics processor that's a purely personal decision.

Trending Topics