Is a Dumble amp a Fender copy, sort of?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mortatort, Aug 10, 2010.

1. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

Crystal lattice:dunno

2. frank62

frank62 Member

True, The cleans are my thing as well but if it's the OD sound you want the EH will get very close.

3. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I don't think the new LPB-1s are terribly different to the original. It's a boost. In particular the LPB-1 will fatten up your tone a little

4. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I was under the impression that Dumble started out modifying Fender amps....one (early Dumble modded Fender) is for sale in the emporium right now...

5. kimock

kimock Member

I have a BFDSM and a D and did the LPB-1 into the Vibrolux for years, and it's not really the same thing at all. You could tell 'em apart without playing a note, just listening to the blow through the amp. I dig what you're trying to say, but those would not be functionally equivalent unless you were listening from maybe 500 yards away.
    The LPB-1 is a cool box, even cooler if you build it into a volume pedal to tame the noise, but it's no more D than any other "clip the snot out of the input device" imho.
    Still I get where you're coming from, but honestly, it's a quite a stretch.

Peace!!

6. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

You prefer the Bandmaster though, don't you? I'd be curious to know a little more about how you set that up and how that compares to your Dumbles and that setup.

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

They whip them into shape with a Tele.

8. frank62

frank62 Member

Well sir I respectfully retract my views then. In my little world it is close enough. Part of what I say is tounge in cheek just because of the rediculous attention the D amps recieve.

9. paaes335

paaes335 Member

The LBP-1 box to the amp input brings back fond memories indeed.
    In 68/69 I would run it through a SF Bandmaster or Bassman head (borrowed of course) into a homemade cab with 2 /15's (cheap Radio Shack things, shiny center dome JBL look-a-likes.) That with my "sparkling burgundy" 335 sounded killer in the 3 man blues band I had.

I had no idea what Dumbles sounded like back then, didn't even know they existed. All that matttered was getting the "Crossroads-Wheels" tone.
    I don't really know how close it was to that tone but I do remember getting really nice grind with controlled feedback. Had to back the treble way back on those Fenders, too shrill otherwise.
    I read in an old Little Feat interview in GP that Lowell George called Dumbles "Fenders made right."

10. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Common, why would anyone want to buy a hard to get $30k amp with so many clones around that sound just as good for under $3k?

11. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

That's so what I used to do in the '70s also...to push more signal into the input and fatten it up.
    [​IMG]

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Ok, but $30K worth? ;)

Oh, and the :D smilie was an indication of a "tongue in cheek" remark.

"That's a joke son".

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

who knows but I'd be 30,000k richer. gleeeeeeeee. I'd sell the amp for some andersons, groshs, and suhrs and strippers.