Is a ES-Les Paul the cure for my 335 woes?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Magnets And Melodies, Aug 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

So I've been on this hunt for a 335 for the past year or so.

Bought one and returned it after discovering some dead notes and just not being able to get the setup the way I wanted. It looked fantastic but just wasn't a great sounding 335. I've played about a handful of them since then in search for "the one", but just could not gel with any of them.

I did end up liking the sound of one of the 2016 335's I played, but the look was not my cup of tea at all, and the price was double what I paid for the previous one I owned.

When I returned the first 335 I bought, I ended up swapping it out for a 2016 Les Paul Standard. I had no intention of doing that (already had a traditional at home) but the standard just sounded so amazing and played so well that I felt I HAD to.

So now I'm here, looking at some great deals on these ES Les Paul's. I've played a couple of them and they definitely sounded more like a 335 than a LP, yet still not the same as a 335. They fill the space somewhere between for sure.

I'm almost to the realization that I haven't found the perfect 335 for me because, maybe a 335 isn't for me?

Has anyone here had experience with the ES Les Paul's? What are your thoughts?

2. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I returned my lightburst ES Les Paul because of several issues with fit and finish and bad fretwork. Got a Les Paul Std. instead. Don't own it anymore either. Traded it for a Goldtop 50's Tribute. I suggest for a semi-hollow body checking out an Ibanez. I own 4 Ibanez semi-hollows and they are great guitars at a great price.

Joeblues27 and KSL like this.
  3. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Member

@op, check out a Midtown. I don't think that Gibson makes them anymore, but tone wise it's in between a Les Paul and a 335. It has the tones of both guitars. It's a flat top maple top with a carved mahogany body. They don't cost what the 335 go for either.

C-4 and theroan like this.
  4. Magnets And Melodies

I was actually very interested in one of those too, although it's harder to source from where I am.

I actually just found a rediculously good deal on a 2015 ES Les Paul w 59 neck in Tobacco Burst VOS. I figured the deal was so good that I couldn't really pass it up. Just have to wait for it to arrive!

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I love mine. I've owned a bunch of Gibsons and the Midtown is my favorite. I have nothing bad to say about it.

6. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Did you get it from Chicago Music Exchange? That's where I got mine from and it was practically a steal of a deal. I've read mixed reviews, some hated theirs but others were raving about them. I took a chance and LOVE mine! I've not encountered any issues the bad reviews listed. QC is great, no problems with fret access past the 12th, and beautiful tones at every setting.

Let us know what you think when you get yours...

[​IMG]

7. Magnets And Melodies

I did...

Honestly it was a absolute steal. I'm still kind of stunned that I got it for as cheap as I did. I'm scared to tell anybody haha. I got it for easily less than half of what I would pay for it locally, and that includes shipping. (I'm in Canada).

This is one of the first guitars I've bought without playing first... but I figured at a deal like this I couldn't pass it up. If it doesn't work out, I could easily sell it locally, or trade it in at a local shop for more than I paid.

I have tried a ES LP at a local store a while ago and I was very impressed. I know that each guitar will be unique, but if that was any indication of what is to be expected, than I'm very excited. The 335's I have tried just haven't been working out well for me. I feel like the ES LP will give me all the things I love about the LP but with more of a hollow body tone. At the very least it will add some tonal versatility to my current collection.

By the way, your goldtop ES LP is fantastic. I was eyeing those GT's with the P90's big time but they were all sold out.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2017
    frisco kid likes this.
  8. Milliner

Milliner Member

No. You want an ES-339

Trea, Elantric, teleman1 and 5 others like this.
  9. Magnets And Melodies

Played them, wasn't a fan.

10. Milliner

Milliner Member

ES-Les Pauls sound thin to me. You need the body girth to fill out the sound.

11. morgan918

morgan918 Member

That's a looker!

12. Magnets And Melodies

Thinner than a 335 I agree.

But also, thicker than a solid body LP.

Everything I've heard and experienced was that the sound kind of sat inbetween the 2 somewhere. Definitely had a hollowbody sound but with some LP character in there. Sure, not as full bodied as a 335, but I already kind of figured out the 335's weren't working for me.

frisco kid likes this.
  13. Milliner

Milliner Member

Thinner than an LP...by design

14. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Based on what you're looking for, this should be right up your alley! I think most bad reviews, tonewise at least, are from folks expecting a 5 lb LP...to my ears it's not, it's better! I've had Historic P90 Goldtops and Customs but this one has more snap and a crisper attack, nothing thin about it. With high gain and volume, you can really move some air...it's like it's breathing. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Look forward to a future review!

15. rummy

rummy Member

If you want a 335, you should get a 335.

T Dizz, MR.K, cutaway and 2 others like this.
  16. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

When I played one, it was neither a LP, nor a 335. I dug it, and might even be able to rock one long term if I could afford it, but if you want a 335, imho, get the Heritage 535 and be done with it.

Jeff_G, Benz2112 and frisco kid like this.
  17. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Odd...I never thought that the ones I've played sounded thin? Perhaps clearer and less muddy but certainly not thin. IME, all ES models do lack a bit of tight bottom end that solid body LPs have but they make up for it in better cleans...YMMV.

18. Magnets And Melodies

That's very reassuring! Thanks man!

I'm pretty excited for those MHS Humbuckers as well.

One thing I realized is that I LOVE LP's. Not just the sound of them, but the feel and playability of them. I have a few Tele's, and while I love them for various reasons, the feel and enjoyment I get from playing them doesn't compare to LP's for me.

I think that's the biggest reason I was leaning towards the ES LP. What I may have seen as a bit of a gimmick at first now just makes so much sense. Semi-Hollow Body sound with the feel and playability I'm used to and love so much. The other thing is, I play clean 90% of the time, and all the demos I've heard of this thing with a little bit of reverb on the neck pickup just sound FANTASTIC. That's where I'm gonna be 90% of the time easily.

I'll definitely post a NGD and quick review once I get it!

StockRock, alamere and frisco kid like this.
  19. Joeblues27

Joeblues27 Member

I own an Ibanez AS93 great guitar!

20. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I owned 4 ES-335s. I thought I was not a 335 guy - until I got an original '64 (recently sold to pay legal fees incurred by my vindictive ex). Too bad, because that guitar was exceptional and I'd still have it if I wasn't starting a doctorate in the spring.

You just haven't fount THE 335 yet.

However, I've played a ton of the ES/LPs and I'd love to own one. You're right - they have a vibe all their own. IMO they fill a void that's not necessary and unpopular if sales are a valid indicator.

Still, I think it's a fitting guitar for some, including myself. One in black with cream plastic would be welcomed among my small collection

Family Man and frisco kid like this.