Is a ES-Les Paul the cure for my 335 woes?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Magnets And Melodies, Aug 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FennRx

FennRx Member

An es LP or an es339 will not satiate your es335 hunger .

Family Man likes this.
  2. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

You may be right that I haven't found THE 335 yet. Knowing my rampant GAS I'll still keep my eyes open and be on the hunt.

One thing I will admit is, if prices were equal, I would not have purchased a ES LP. Good deals on good 335's are rare (at least ones I come across) and the 335's that spoke to me are all quite well above what I'm comfortable paying.

Although I don't want to make it seem like price was the main factor. Price just made it easier for me to pull the trigger on the ES LP. In CAD, the one I purchased is $4100 locally. I'll be the first to admit I would never pay $4100 for a ES LP. As you said, it does not fit a necessary tonal gap. I purchased mine for less than half of that NEW. At less than $2000, yes I can take a chance on what I think is a beautiful guitar that, and if the ones I played are any indication on how well this one will play, will be a very useful and enjoyable guitar for me to play.

It doesn't mean I'll never own a 335. Knowing me, I will one day. But I'm quite excited for the ES LP now, and I do think it will hold my GAS back for semi-hollows for quite a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2017
  3. Magnets And Melodies

Maybe not forever, but I think it may alleviate some of my 335 frustrations I've had this year... At least long enough for me to find a great 335 at a great deal.

FennRx likes this.
  4. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

e??? likes this.
  5. Jeff_G

Jeff_G Member

Another vote for Heritage 535. It's what I got when I never found a 335 I liked.

6. airportbar

airportbar Member

CME had a satin 335 up there this morning, but of course sold out as soon as the sale was announced.

They got me for 3 Gibsons in the last month with their blowout pricing.

7. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

If you were just listening to a LP and a 335 recorded with 5 being one and 5 the other, I'll bet you couldn't pick them out with great certainty. Get what you enjoy the feel and tone of and who cares what it is. A 24 3/4 scale guitar with hums can do a lot of things by switching pickups, amps, picking technique, adding OD/effects, etc.

8. Magnets And Melodies

I could not say no to an ES LP with tobacco burst finish, MHS humbuckers, VOS, fat 59 neck, for $1440 USD. Take out the whole debate between a ES LP and a ES 335... it's just a killer deal. This guitar goes for $3300 USD locally. Not to mention there were only 150 made, so... whether that means anything is to be determined but I like having limited run stuff.

3 Gibsons in a month! Lucky dude! What did you end up grabbing?

alamere and rh like this.
  9. airportbar

airportbar Member

Same one as yours (you'll love it), goldtop with p-90s (same deal), and my dream 64 ES-345 for just a couple hundred more than the ES-LPs. I'm done for a while.

10. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I've got a 2015 ES Les Paul, made in the Memphis factory. Tobacco burst -- my favorite finish. I really like it. I've had several 335s, plus some 336s, an AS-200, and a few Soloway Goslings. And a few Les Pauls over the years. In hollow/semi-hollow guitars currently, I've got the ES-LP, a Gosling, a Ibanez PM-120, and a Gustavsson Dotmaster. It belongs in their company.

I particularly like the pickups. Neck and fit and everything seem fine. Maybe I got lucky.

The attack is softer than a solid body, as you might expect. When I miss that, I get out the DGT or a Tele.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  11. Magnets And Melodies

Aahhhhh man you're killing me.... I've been wanting one of those 64' 345's as well... Had I found a good deal I would've bought it up so fast. That gold top with p90s was also calling my name. Similar tastes we have lol.

airportbar likes this.
  12. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Try a Chambered Les Paul

13. Magnets And Melodies

A chambered mahogany Les Paul is not the same at all as a maple/poplar laminate semi hollowbody.

14. Magnets And Melodies

Thanks for sharing! We may have the same model of ES LP. Does yours have the 59 neck? I think they only made 150 of them.

I do understand why these haven't become very popular yet. They're different, they're new compared to the classic stuff, and their retail prices are as high as the 335's. I thought of them as almost gimmickyat first because of those reasons, but now I'm really so glad I gave them a second chance.

rh likes this.
  15. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

That's how I ended up with a Heritage. Before playing a friend's H535, I did not know Heritage existed. At the time, I also couldn't find a 335 I liked. Glad I played my friend's guitar!

16. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I bought an ES-LP from Sweetwater. The frets were not level, the finish had drips on the body and neck, and the guitar in general was exceptionally poorly built. It went back.

Having owned 3x5's for years, and having owned 339's, and 356's, there is a difference in tone which one will find after playing them for awhile.

If you desire a 335, no other Gibson will offer that bigger, airy tone. Some will come closer then others like the Midtown, but you will not get what a 335 offers.

One alternative I found which is not exactly the same sounding, but it does offer an alternative is the PRS P245. Mine feels as a LP does, but the piezo adds depth and widens out the tone. Blended together gets me into arch top sounding jazz guitar territory. Not the same as a 335, but a nice alternative with flexibility for stage and studio use.

17. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

I prefer lightweight guitars so I REALLY wanted to like the ES Les Paul. However, there were just too many that had terrible quality control issues so I've scratched that model and other new Gibsons completely off my list. If I'm spending $2500+ on a guitar, I expect a high quality instrument, not playing Gibson roulette with the fret leveling, binding, paint, nut, setup, etc.

C-4 and cutaway like this.
  18. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

I've only played a few, but I experienced the same thing. The Korean PRS guitars were leaps above those things in QC.

C-4 likes this.
  19. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

We all know sound isn't the only thing when it comes to picking out a guitar. It's about how it FEELS in your hands too.

It will certainly feel different in your hands since the 335 has a bigger body and double cutaway.

It's gonna comes down to how much you will notice a difference. Probably will come close in sound, but it's not an 335 in terms of feel.

How much that difference affects you is something only you would know.

Gibsons are generally hit or misses, even to this day.

I recently bought a 2017 J35 and while it's not perfect, it sounds amazing. I am able to live with the flaws and accept them.

1) The rosewood fretboard had weird scrach marks on them when I got it.
    2) One of the holes for the the truss rod screw was stripped--the screw spins round and round without it coming out. I put some tooth pick pieces into the hole for screw to grip.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    C-4 likes this.
  20. Magnets And Melodies

I honestly have not had the same experience that I hear of with QC issues. I certainly keep my eye out for it because of the stories, but every Gibson I own has been beautiful (and I bought 5 new in the last year alone).

I bought the ES LP new for $1500. It's a limited run of 150, MHS humbuckers, 59 neck (I like them thick! This has 1.7 inch nut width!) And VOS. For that money this was a no brainer of a deal. I'll have to receive it before I can comment on the qc.

jm9239 and airportbar like this.