Is a ES-Les Paul the cure for my 335 woes?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Magnets And Melodies, Aug 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I like the idea of the ES LP, but those super light weights make me worry they'd have terrible neck dive...?

2. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Zero neck dive. Balances perfectly, sitting or standing.

Castlebreath and jamester like this.
  3. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Great scores AB! I'm kicking myself for not buying an HB version when I had the chance. Glad I was able to get the Goldtop P90 though.

I don't doubt other people's encounters with bad QC, I just haven't experienced it myself on the couple of new Gibsons I've bought. This ES is simply perfect, although I didn't really care for the VOS finish and polished it out.

4. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

I'm on the fence about the VOS. I haven't received the guitar yet but I have seen VOS on other guitars and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

How did you go about polishing it off?

5. Castlebreath

Castlebreath Member

I got the es black beauty 3 pickup les Paul. After the 5 or 6th set up, (I do a set up after each show) it came into its own and started holding tune and really coming to life as a thick and dynamic axe. It did take a bit to dial in but most guitars do. A raised the bridge height a bit then locked it down. I screwed the stop tail studs all the way down tight and top wrapped the strings. Then lubed the nut with graphite and really dialed the bridge intonation. It's a really cool axe and a lot of guitar for the money. The only NEW Gibson I own and I have a real 68 335 to a/b and get context. It's def more les Paul than 335 but retains an airy alive feel that I love. It has an explosive quality when digging in hard that is pure semi hollow dynamics but still has the attack of a solid body LP.
    Great neck feel, super light weight, stunning to behold and just friggin cool
    Get one

6. Magnets And Melodies

Very cool. Never saw a 3 pickup ES LP. Sounds awesome.

At the deal I got it for I wasn't gonna wait. Purchased one yesterday and am waiting for it to arrive... With much anticipation.

Castlebreath likes this.
  7. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

I used Virtuoso cleaner and polish...shined right up to a nice glossy finish.

Rhythm Rocker likes this.
  8. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

A BB ES is on my shortlist! I had a 3 p'up BB a while back and would love an ES version. How does the wiring work on that one? IIRC, up position is neck, center is middle/bridge, down is bridge?

9. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Right -- mine is one of those 150. It's a very, very good guitar in my opinion.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  10. Family Man

Family Man Silver Supporting Member

11. Castlebreath

Castlebreath Member

I believe down is bridge
    Middle is middle and bridge
    And up is neck

12. Magnets And Melodies

jens5 and Family Man like this.
  13. Family Man

Family Man Silver Supporting Member

I think that makes you a little sick in the head (kidding). That's an easy fix. You just need a burst variation, black, or maybe even Pelham blue or olive green!

14. Magnets And Melodies

See I would jump all over a burst! (not literally, I would actually take quite good care of it :p)

15. sinulid

sinulid Member

Any updates on ES LP owners?

They are being blown out this side of my pond.

16. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

I don't know ....should not be hard to find a 'Good ' 335 if they are making them properly.
    I kind of think 335's are overrated in the 'Hollow' sense...I don't hear much
    Hollow until I play an ES 137..larger body ..deeper..but you can hear that Hollow thing on the Neck PU.

But I may actually get something like a Seventy Seven
    Exactly where I am ...regarding Seventy Seven ..the Fat Jazz Hawk ..which is similar to an ES 175 or possibly the
    Jazz Hawk which is a slimline version but appears in Demos to have a much thicker sound than a 335..

The one thing is on the Thinline version- I may ask them to move the Neck Pickup further toward the Fingerboard for Phatter Tones..
    Jazz Tones...but not for straight Jazz..

When I play a 335 or hear one Played Back on a Recording..I don't hear much of the' Hollow 'thing..
    With the 137 I do hear it on the Neck PU...but I think the Seventy Seven may have thicker Resonance and I can get Jescar Frets etc..
    I am seriously considering one with coil cuts ...lol.

I think I could utilize some of the Metheny Models too for the R&B Fusion Stuff I am developing..

I hope to get my hands on one soon before I order and I will check out a few others as well.

17. django49

django49 Member

Have had probably at least 2 dozen ES-3XXs pass through my hands. The best of them all (only one I still have) is a reissue dot with replacement Antiquity pickups. Despite that long weeding out process (and having owned it way over 20 years) it is now in danger after running into a Collings I35-LC last December at a great used price.

18. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

19. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

20. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I have owned 335's, ES-LP's, 356's, 339's and 336's.

I spent a lot of time playing them in live band situations. I got rid of them all. Of the ones I would have kept was the 335, but it was way too heavy for me at 10 lbs.

It was the one that sounded the biggest, fullest and still had the cut . Everything else has a smaller body, and a smaller sound to it. ymmv. :)