Is a ES-Les Paul the cure for my 335 woes?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Magnets And Melodies, Aug 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Keep looking for a 335... The ES LP is really more of light weight LP and doesn't get into the 335 tone territory.

Rhythm Rocker, cutaway and SteveC356 like this.
  2. gtrgene

gtrgene Supporting Member

If you want the sound of a 335 get a 335 custom shop. The hollow LP will sound closer to a 330 and it has a mahogany block, which will also sound different. I believe 335 has a maple bloc. I have a smaller body Sadowsky semi hollow which has the same scale length as a Gibson but it sounds nothing like a 335 although it sound great, it has its own unique sound. Before I owned a 335 I though I was close to that sound but it’s a totally different animal. It is way more acoustic and almost sound like a full hollow. It has the scooped mids thing going on like most arch tops. The 335 has a good amount of mids and a good 335 has more presence and cuts through the mix very well. They are bright sounding but in a sweet way.

SteveC356 likes this.
  3. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I think CME cured all of your woes, no?

4. Torren61

Torren61 Member

5. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Almost... the ES-LP is awesome.

I say almost because I'm still waiting for them to ship my 335 haul. Had to wait for CITES certification, so if I'm lucky they MIGHT ship them out this week, and I could receive them next week.

Family Man likes this.
  6. Bogner

Bogner Member

To me, the only thing sounding like a 335 was a 335. I love the 59 Nashville build I have. If I were to get another 335 or 335 type guitar my next buy is Collings for sure. I have PRS and Nik Huber and they are absolutely spectacular but a bit different...and different doesn't necessarily mean bad, just different. I have found it difficult to really find a 335 that really does it for me in comparison to some other guitar models and brands. Not sure why, it is just my experience. Maybe I am the odd ball in that way but I have picked up many and put them down as fast as I could. When it is right you will certainly know. If not, don't even waste your time.

SteveC356 likes this.
  7. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see a 335 as an ultimate example of purity, as though the sound in my head, whether I know it or not, is that of a 335 and only a 335 will scratch that itch.

The ES-335 is a modified ES-330 which is a modified big body jazz box. In other words, the 335 is a compromise wrapped in another compromise. But that's OK; it's still awesome.

The point is, it's not at one end of some spectrum with an LP at the other end. It's in the middle of a spectrum with big hollow bodies at one end and LP's at the other, and the 335 is way closer to an LP than a big hollow body.

ES-Les Pauls and ES-339's and Midtowns and all of the others aren't somewhere between 335's and LP's. They're all just on the spectrum somewhere and all potentially awesome. It's tempting to say that it all depends on what you're looking for, but the reality is, if you're like me, it all depends on what inspires you. If you pick up a guitar and, between the two of you, you get sounds that make you want to keep playing, then it's a good guitar. Period. The idea that it has to be a 335 is silly.

bullet6759 and Elantric like this.
  8. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

You may find you prefer the ES Les Paul to your new 335s, at least from a comfort standpoint. The main problem I have with the 335/345/355/330 models is that they're just really big and kind of awkward to play, at least for me. I've also tried the 336/339 models and I like those but I honestly think they look a little weird--like they're too small ("Honey I shrunk the 335!!") I think Collings nailed the size issue for me with their I35 models, which are in between the 335 size and the 339 size. I wish Gibson made a 335 in the same size as the I35 (15" wide I think).

I own two of the '59 neck tobacco burst ES Les Pauls--one I bought last year and one I bought last week from CME for an insane price. I seriously LOVE everything about this model--the whole ES Les Paul vibe, the f-holes, the size, the color, the VOS finish, the pickups, the weight, the big neck. It just works for me and honestly I'm sad that Gibson appears to have discontinued the ES Les Paul series as it fills a unique niche in their lineup. It seems like Gibson has 50 different variations of the solid body Les Paul at all price points but they can't keep ONE ES Les Paul model in the lineup???

I also purchased two of the Tamio Okuda ES 330s from CME last week and they are great, great guitars. But again the size is an issue for me so I probably won't be keeping them, which is a shame because I love the P90/Bigsby vibe.

My first ES-LP
    [​IMG]

My second ES-LP
    [​IMG]

Together
    [​IMG]

9. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

^^ That's damned handsome.

I have been considering the ES LP simply for the weight issue. After a half hour with my LP, I'm looking to sit down.

10. wmachine

wmachine Member

I get what you're saying, but I don't see it that way at all. Even if you want make a spectrum range of the models, it doesn't mean that anything in between the ends is a compromise.
    The key to what you said is "it all depends what you are looking for". Which is a reality that derails all of the "what is the best?" Q&As that go on all of the time. I think it simply a matter that the 335 (/45/55) has what most are "looking for" due to it's wide range of accepted use, and doing it well.
    What I find interesting is the mass interest (if forums are a true measure) in size and weight. That obviously is important to many, understandably, but only to a degree. The size/weight issue appears to be the only reason the ES-LP exists, as it does not fill an need otherwise (I know that some will unsuccessfully argue that). I mean to offend nobody, but if you want to talk about compromising, that is what the the downsizing and lightening is doing.
    If a 335 is too big/heavy for anyone (sorry, but it sounds like "does this xxxx make me look fat?" to me), okay, but an ES-LP (or anything else) is not going to do it.
    Tommy Shaw has no problem wielding a 335 on stage.

11. gtrgene

gtrgene Supporting Member

I agree to certain degree. With all due respect, if you’re a smaller person a 335 can be a little uncomfortable. I’m 5/11 and 200 lbs so it works fine for me. My Memphis custom shop 335 weight around 8 1/2 lbs. my sadowsky that’s a small body guitar like the 330 is 1 or 2lbs lighter. That really doesn’t make that much difference to me. Also, I think it’s the maple block that makes it heavier not so much the size. Maple is one of the heavier woods. My Sadowsky has a ceder block which is one of lightest. Also the size of the block. The 335 is one solid piece of wood while the Sadowsky is is carved therefore it has a more acoustic sound. I bet the block in a 335 is much bigger then the one in a hollow LP

12. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

I agree completely. But I think you might be mistaking a desire to make/own an alternative instrument with a different sound and feel as a simple interest in size and weight. With at least some people (including myself) the size and weight are kind of secondary.

I think the ES-LP (and other examples of chambered and semi-hollow guitars) exists to be an alternative to other instruments. Admittedly, that particular guitar is deliberately modeled after an LP, perhaps to attract LP players, but it exists to have a different sound and feel than an LP. The fact that it's lighter is just gravy.

I can't get my head around the idea of a 'need' for a particular model, so I don't even know where to go with that.

13. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Nothing beats a really great 335. The challenge is to actually find a really great 335. I got lucky and found a 1968 335 that has a most comfortable neck and, at 7.5 pounds, is a "play all night" kind of guitar. It also sounds wicked good.
    Not to offend the ES-LP owners here but I find that model to be a complete fail. It looks proportionally just wrong. There have been better models for those seeking a smaller body semi. Ibanez made the am-205 and 255. There are some rare Greco and other Japanese small body semis. And then you have Heritage and Collings with their I35lc- that's a brilliant guitar.

SteveC356 likes this.
  14. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Big thing for me and the Es-3x5 isn't on some 'tone spectrum' but rather the fact that when I think 'electric guitar' the image of a sunburst 335 first comes to mind. It's etched in there as what *the* electric guitar looks like.

15. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

I agree that an ES LP is not an ES-335. I don't consider the ES LP "to be a complete fail" tho, but I can't get on with those F-holes.
    Even if an LP is weight relieved or chambered, I still want a solid top on it. Just my preference, but the ES LP owners here love them.
    And that's all that matters.

Tony Bones and zztomato like this.
  16. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

I own a killer Wildwood 63 ES-335 Block Reissue and it is very light at 7 lbs. 7 oz. It's my number 1 guitar and it has tone for days, plays perfectly and is absolutely beautiful to look at. I dont see myself ever parting with it. I prefer it over my Historic Les Paul. Having said that, I own an ES Les Paul and love it. IMHO, it's a brilliant guitar in its own right. It doesnt replace the 335 or the Historic Les Paul although it could for all practical purposes. I dont need or want to downsize my small collection but I can see overlap between a 335, traditional Les Paul and the ES Les Paul. Any one of these is good enough to cover most all of the same sonic territory with a few tweaks of the knobs.

I will also add that I have owned 2 different ES-330s--a 59' and a 61' with Bigsby. I prefer the ES Les Paul Goldtop with P-90s by a mile. The 330 is a full hollowbody and at high volume is more prone to feedback. It's managable if you have room on the stage and can control stage volume but to me its not worth the headaches. Couple that with the cramped upper fret access and the ES Les Paul wins out. I moved the 330 and dont miss it at all.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    SteveC356 likes this.
  17. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

I certainly am in love with my ES-LP. I have the same model as yours, and it's a fantastic guitar. Sounds amazing. Feels great.

Having said that, the comfort factor regarding a 335 doesn't really apply to me here. Infact, I love how comfortable a 335 is. It's not too big for me. Rather, LP's generally feel and look so small on me. I'm 6'4 and 230pnds. 335 and similar sized guitars are the only ones that "look right" on me haha.

SteveC356 and Tony Bones like this.
  18. doesitmatter

doesitmatter Member

I had one, traded it and an SG for an R8 (still a good trade) and after a few months missed it. I got another on eBay for dirt cheap and put a Bigsby on it. You can't feel the extra pound on a guitar that light and it adds to the sustain.

If these are gone for 2018 this may be your only chance to get one, certainly to get one cheap.