Is a Fender Super Reverb Pro Reverb the same exact amp with different speaker config?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blueser, May 23, 2008.

1. Blueser

Blueser Member

Just wondering if they are the same amp with different speaker configuration, or are they different circuits?

2. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

Same circuit, slightly different values in tone stack, but the main difference is they use different output transformers. Obviously one is a 2x12 at 4ohm and the other is 4x10 at 2ohms.

Jack

3. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
  4. Blueser

Blueser Member

Thanks guys. I am doing more research!

5. woof*

woof* Member

my opinion..
    a little different circuit/tonestack, no middle control and way smaller transformers on the pro. breaks up real easy, and that might be a good thing for some players. the pro reminds of a blackface bandmaster head i had as a kid..this is before i had any tube/speaker knowledge and the bandmaster was just too mushy for me. however i gotta say the pro reverb is fully capable of getting killer tones..just listen to Tomo!
    lots more headroom on the super, and with the 4 tens..well just a lot different sound. both amps have the best reverb!
    i have a couple supers and just aquired the pro. for me the pro breaks way too early to be even usable. might be a great thing for someone thats used to a deluxe or a vibrolux, but needs a little more volume. my pro is shipping tues to ron for a twin output trans and a recap..and will be used with a 15" evm.
    i plays blues, love the deep clear blackface sound and get most of my overdrive from pedals.
    all depends on your style of music, but no..the pro reverb is not really like a super in a 2x12 format.

6. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

The earlier breakup is due to the smaller OT.

Jack

7. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

As has been previously mentioned, all blackface Fenders sound somewhat similar, but the Super Reverb and Pro Reverb are not the same amp with different speakers.

To me it fits between a Super and a Twin. The Pro Reverb is the same size as the Twin Reverb, but unlike it the Twin, it has 2 instead of 4 output tubes, and a smaller transformer, a tube rectifier instead of solid state, and no middle tone control.

It is a great amp.

Woof
    I have had several Pro Reverbs, and if yours is breaking up so early that it is almost unusable, it must be in need of a serious tune up. I have found that the Pro Reverb is almost always too loud by the time it starts hitting its stride at around 6 or 7 on the volume knob.