1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Is a Gibson Traditional the answer? If so, which one/year?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Evitucci

Evitucci Member

I have an 09 Traditional Plus Top that I love, 50's neck, Classic 57s not push pull. Its my number one guitar weight is 9.4.

I think the Traditional Pro has the slim neck and push pull pots. Might have burst buckers as well.

Gasp100 and Kentano2000 like this.
  2. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

What year had the push/pull with 50s neck and 57s? I think that is the goldtop I have.... but someone prior to me rewired with bumblebees and took out the push/pull.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

$1600-2000 range on Reverb for these? Seems high!

4. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I got one of the 2015's, you know the ones that "everybody hated".

It is not weight relieved, but still below 10 lbs. The neck is rounded XL with a .9 inch thickness at the nut, and 1.0 inch thickness at the 12th fret. It actually is wider than a "normal" neck, but I find it very comfortable.

Woowoo, walkindaddy and Gasp100 like this.
  5. Gasp100

I have gotten very comfortable with the super FAT neck on my Nash Tele and the very full neck on my 57RI Junior. I can't imagine a trad neck being as big or fat as either of those. Your 2015 seems to have some great stats!

6. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

I am now kicking myself for missing out on this 2016 Trad Light Burst on the local CL. I hem and hawed for a couple of days on it, and then of course it was gone.

The seller mentioned some checking on the guitar and "hence the price", but that wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest.

I've been trying to thin the herd a little, so thus the hesitation. But I'm guessing this would have been a pretty good deal... :(

[​IMG]

Gasp100 likes this.
  7. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I have a '13. It's a real LP. 9 lbs and change. I don't play it much but it satisfies my urge to have a Les Paul. I bought it used for $1500 when the 2014s came out with the weird 12th fret inlay.
    Not to knock the 2012s, but when the '13 came out the Les Paul Forum went nuts for the changes. No more chambering or richlite fingerboards.

chumbucket likes this.
  8. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

My '13 is an assassin. It is fully solid, and weighs 9.2 pounds. Plays and sounds amazing! Find one that's on the lighter side and you'll thank me.

Gasp100 likes this.
  9. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Yes, those are the correct specs

It's a 10 pounder, and I don't care
    Cause it's all about the tone & feel
    OMG the TONE & FEEL

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  10. Bankston

Bankston Member

I had a 2014 LP Traditional in Ocean Blue that had a fat 50's neck and the '59 Tribute pickups. I eventually sold it to fund my PRS GAS,but it was one of the best Les Pauls I ever owned.

11. Woowoo

Woowoo Member

I have played many "historic" reissues and vintage LPs and yet my 2015 Traditional remains my favourite guitar. Thick 50s neck, slightly wider fretboard edges which I love, great '59 pickups, sustain for days and impeccable craftsmanship. Yes it is heavy but it's worth it. I feel so lucky that I didn't let the negative hype (about the headstock signature, hologram, etc) stop me from trusting my ears, hands and eyes back then.

12. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

I have a 2016 Traditional from the first 2-3 weeks of manufacture (mid-August inspection date). Rounded neck with covered 57/57+ pickups, one piece back, weight relieved. Immaculately made guitar, but just OK sounding. Bought as the only bid off an eBay auction back in 2015 that oddly ended square in the middle of Sunday NFL playoffs for $1200. About the same time I purchased a NOS 2014 Les Paul Signature for $999 with a rounded neck and uncovered 57's which ended up being a killer playing and sounding guitar (once you overlook the robot tuners and the PCB "wiring").

13. art_z

art_z Silver Supporting Member

So what’s the difference the between the Trad and an R7 or R8?

14. Gasp100

Prices have gone up dramatically, just like new Gibson's I suppose. I think I'm going to post some WTB in tandem with my search. I don't want a hologram.

15. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

I can also attest to the 2013's being great. Fat neck and fat tone. Needed a little work on the nut slots but that was it.

16. Gasp100

When did used R8's go up $1000 since the last time I had one a few years ago???

17. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Asking prices have gone up....sales prices are always subject to seller's whims. I scored my Traditional basically untouched including case candy from Wildwood. Back story I got from the seller was that it was purchased for a Latin American artist's US tour (set to rehearse in Miami) that was cancelled. The return policy deadline had passed, so the tour manager decided to liquidate it rather than deal with the headaches of import taxes, CITIES paperwork, etc. of "bringing it home".

2015's are the only model year to have the hologram (2014's have the 12th fret inlay which may be an issue for purists)...if I remember correctly, there were multiple "sprint runs" that are stamped 2015, but have different degrees of "normal" necks, nuts, tuners, peg head lettering, etc. FWIW, I have a 2015 Les Paul Less+ and I haven't noticed the hologram and scribbled headstock logo after the first time I took it out of it's sweet hardshell case (which I like a lot better than the "Lifton" types) .

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  18. Gasp100

I've had great luck with 2014, first a great Studio and then a Standard that I turned into a great guitar (and sold). Did the Trad have a 50's neck profile that year?

19. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

As I recall, the 2014 Traditionals have the 50's rounded neck and no weight relief. They do have the anniversary inlay and also came with 59 Tribute pickups which were only available in 2014 (a former Gibson employee told me that they disappeared because they were "too similar" to the CustomBuckers that Gibson was/is limiting to Custom Shop builds).

I have a 2014 LPM that has multiple cosmetic and construction flaws, but sounds absolutely great and has been my #1 for writing and recording for a number of years.

Gasp100 likes this.
  20. stormtrooper

stormtrooper Member

Save your money don't waste it on a traditional get a CS.

Do it right the first time even if it takes longer.