Is a JTM45 a rich sounding amp? rockytop and 65 amps London 18 content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I see that RockyTop is having another sale and I'm thinking about one of their 1x12 JTM45 combos.

I recently bought a 65 amps London 18 1x12 combo. Killer amp. What I like about it is that it's a pretty rich sounding amp. The notes sound like there is something goin' on behind them. A lot of Marshall type amps I've played are a little plain sounding. That's the best way I can describe it. I actually prefer the Marshall side of the London

Just trying to see if you'll get that same quality with a JTM45. You know, notes with a little somethin' behind them. More of a rich sounding amp, that's what I'm looking for.

2. 69strat

69strat Member

Well, all I can say is that my Rockytop is FAT!!!!! I also believe that a true JTM 45 has very little filtering. Much like a vox. That being said, You can hear a little something else going on in there.

3. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

To my ears a JTM 45 is more open and 3D sounding than say a typical JMP Marshall. So in that respect I'd say "Yes"... a JTM 45 has that "little extra something" going on in it's tone.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yep for sure. And that little extra something is a VOX mixed with the JMP. I've only played 2 JTM45's... It's actually 1 amp, but 2 totally different amps it turned out. I bought a JTM45 RI in the early 90's and used it for years. I really liked it LOTS... For cleans it was beautiful. For pedal-base it was excellent.. For Cranking to 8-10 , it was pretty good.. I then got the RETRO Mod to it , which is reducing the filtering, changed xformers to MM's and changing some of the signal path, and it turned into a TOTALLY different amp... It then had rich cleans, great rich od , and cranked to 10 great rich gain.. It seemed to have lost some overall volume to me, didn't take the same pedals well , but took new ones well , and became a different amp COMPLETELY......

SO my moral is , EVERY answer you'll get about a JTM 45 to me , is about a totally different amp. My Marshall became a 100% different amp by the mods.

EVERYONE and their brother builds JTM45 clones. I just don't like the word "CLONE" anymore when it comes to amps.. I started a thread about that once and it took every tangent in the book , and I got the feeling most people didn't even have a clue about what I was saying. I just mean CLONE means , a CLONE of SOMETHING... IF there are lots of different JTM45 sounds, and lots of different Jtm45 'clones' , they'll all be different... duh.............

Heavily recommend them based on my experience though.. I love LOTS of different types of amps, but the jtm45 is definitely one of those types. (They're not hi-gain though..... with the lower filtering and mods mine is much higher gain cranked than a stock one, which just didnt' sound great cranked, but at your 'normal' 1/2 up settings etc they 're glassy rich VOX meets JMP's, when the old style, and thick bassman meets Jmp when the normal Jtm45 reissue. (all of the above is PURELY my experience and opinion and everyone has one!:)

5. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I don't need a ton of gain. The Marshall side of the London 18 watt combo has plenty of gain for me when cranked from 6-10.

So if an 18 watt Marshall cranked has as much gain as the JTM45 cranked, I'd be good.

6. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

I didn't care for the Rockytop JTM-45, flubby bloated bass and sloppy at high volume but great if your cheap.

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Dumb question but were you using the Treble Channel and turning down the bass control and turning the mids and treble way up? With my modded RI, it KILLS this way ... NOt when using the bass channel, and no need to jumper them (it sounds better just thru the treble channel and dialed in like I mentioned) ... The Marshall RI WITHOUT the mods ,couldn't be turned to 10 without having flubby bass .. Just wondering . Probably you didn't compare it to a retro-modded marshall RI anyway huh! (And I haven't heard a Rockytop ) ;) ERIC

8. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Really? Please give us more info on how everything was set up, if you wouldn't mind. That doesn't fit the feedback I've gotten on this amp.

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I have a Rockytop JTM45 that came with EL34's. It crunched up nice and had some fantastic cleans. My tech rebiased it for KT66's, removed some of the brightness. Now it is one of the fattest sounding amps I own. With the Kt66's, it just has that little something extra in the notes. I can't describe it, it's just a nifty amp. It's not all that loud either compared to a 50 watt plexi. I actually have it for sale or trade in the emporium at the moment because I just like trying different amps. But, in all honesty I love the JTM45 amp enough to just keep it. It works like a champ in church settings too. I use it there with a scumback loaded 1x12 and a hotplate. It also takes pedals great.:)

10. jw71

jw71 Member

I own a Rockytop 45H w/ EL-34's. I think it sounds great clean, and sounds pretty good too when turned up. It is definitely a little looser than the 50 watt Germino I had, but that is to be expected because it is an earlier style Marshall amp that was more a clone of a Bassman, rather than the later evolving "rock" amps.

But, as with all Marshall amps, it can also be modified to better suit your needs if you are OK with that approach. As far as materials and workmanship, Rockytop amps rank right up there with the best. The workmanship on the inside is impeccable.

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

In stock form the Rockytop benefits from having the bright cap removed. Also, my tech changed something on the tag board that made my RT a little more aggressive, but it's still retains the JTM45 charachter.:)

12. myles111

myles111 Member

On the London ... look at the size of the output transformer .... that is the first of many clues why the amp sounds so huge for it's wattage.

13. myles111

myles111 Member

KT66's have more lows and mid lows than EL34's .... they are smoother and the vacuum tube rectifier of the JTM-45 is part of it's smoother tone and bloom that is not in the 50 watt solid state rectified EL34 amps. Those fit other cool styles.

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

Myles is right.
    I have a Ganesha which you can switch instantly between two EL34's and two KT66's. KT66= Warm, Rich. EL34= Brash, In Your Face.

JTM45's are naturally warm amps - I do think that they sound better with two speakers though, preferably good Greenbacks.

Best, Pete.

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

My JTM45 works well with either Scumback HP's and Weber 1265's. I haven't tried it with greenbacks yet. It's a very soft sounding amp but the notes are just so big.

16. Roe

Roe Member

a good jtm45 sounds very rich

17. rockytop blues

rockytop blues Member

I would like to say, that because I offer our amps at affordable prices does not mean they are cheap or that the person that buys one is cheap. To say that is to say that the other boutique makers are the same. There is not a penny's difference in any that use quality parts and the original schematic. There are mods to tighten up the bass and reduce the bass all together, but then it wouldn't be an original 45 circuit. With that being said, I do thank you for your honest opinion.

Jesse:AOK

18. Roe

Roe Member

yes flobby bass is very common if you try old jtm45s.

19. Amplite

Amplite Member

For the record I am lucky enough to own a D13 ERT33, 65 Amps London, Fargen Epic 30, THD Flexi 50, Bruno UG30, DrZ Maz38, Allen Old Flame - and that's about half of the list. All great amps in my opinion. My neighbor has a room full of vintage Marshalls (that's his thing)
    I'm only saying this so you know tone wise where I'm coming from.
    We both have 2 Rocktop H45 heads w KT66's and feel that these are among the finest built and best sounding amps we've ever heard. I play out, record and I'm obsessed with tone. I have no affiliation with Jesse at Rockytop but I've had the pleasure of ordering two amps from him - went without a hitch.
    Of course this is only 2 guy's opinions. Others opinions may differ and are fun to read! After all this IS The Gear Page!!

20. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I have a Clark 45 beautiful cleans and wonderful natural amp distortion that will make you want to throw away your pedals. As said earlier you have to set the amp up right for the bass to not flub out. Bass setting from 0 to1, mids and treble up and presence up plugged into bright input.
    Cleaner speakers make a difference too. I like it into Texas Heats