• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is a little buzz ok?

telefanboy

Hello,

I recently bought a Fender CS 1960 Journeyman strat and Im in love with it. The only thing Im a bit concern is that the g string buzzes very lightly from the 5th to the 12 fret. You can't hear it thought the amp.. just when you are playing unplugged. Is just the G string.. I've heard that a little buzz is ok so I just want to hear you thoughts about it... Thanks

BlueWolf

Platinum Supporting Member
My personal opinion is no buzz is good. This should be a simple setup adjustment, however, that any good technician can fix for you. I’d take it in to your local shop and have a proper setup done. It shouldn’t cost very much and it should get you squared away.

mrpinter

Gold Supporting Member
If you can’t hear it through the amp I wouldn’t worry about it. If it gets much worse take it to a good guitar tech.

Silent Sound

It's up to you. If it doesn't come through the amp, it' wouldn't bother me. I usually don't rely on the middle strings for extended sustain. If I'm expecting them to ring out for a while, enough to where the buzzing would effect them, it's almost always in a chord, in which case the other strings would carry on well enough to cover the effect.

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
I find that Gibson scale length guitars I have often have that issue with 10s with the action I like. If I can hear it through an amp it's bad. If it's something I can hear only unplugged, I'm okay with it.

Fireball XL5

Gold Supporting Member
You could play around with your setup, but if the slight acoustic buzz is not coming through the amp and you're liking the feel of your current setup, then I'd probably leave it be if it was me. I find it's easy to become obsessed with minor buzzes & rattles when you're focusing on listening for them as opposed to focusing on making music.

Even with good level frets, I find Strats to be more buzz-prone compared to my Gibsons when both are set up with comparably lowish actions anyway. I always have to run a slightly more forgiving setup (more relief, higher string height) on my Strats than on my Les Pauls for this reason. It's all good though. That's part of the charm I like about Strats.

GTStandard

I find that Gibson scale length guitars I have often have that issue with 10s with the action I like. If I can hear it through an amp it's bad. If it's something I can hear only unplugged, I'm okay with it.
same - im lower than the recommended on 10s with my gibsons and get fret buzz. I dont mind it bc you cant hear it while playing it. Raising it to a level with no buzz doesnt play well for me

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
"Buzz" is totally relative. If you hit the strings hard enough, you can make any action buzz. On the flipside, you can often make buzz go away by adjusting your attack.

All this provided your frets are level.

I also feel that a certain amount of "slap" at the attack is desirable to me. It gives the note a percussive quality and adds overtones. High action with no buzz or slap sounds dead to me by comparison. More (loud) fundamental, less interesting texture and color.

In the OP's case it simply sounds like the g string is a bit low. Half a turn or so on the saddle height adjustment screws of that string should fix it.

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
If it sounds good and sustains well when amped then it's fine.

I expect to hear some buzz playing an electric unplugged, hitting the strings even moderately hard.

Jim85IROC

Silver Supporting Member
I do a lot of practicing unplugged, and even when I'm plugged in I typically play at volumes low enough that I can hear rattles and buzzes, so they tend to drive me crazy, and I do what's needed to eliminate them. Your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom